Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 08 LMM (builder truck) just about have it done and fixed up. Now I can start putting the stuff I want onto it. As a salvage truck I obviously don't get any contact with the original owner. So I am kind of going into it blind. The previous owner had a DPF back exhast system and cut off the cats and no muffler. I am taking all of that off tomorrow and putting a 4" AFE stainless turbo back set up on tomorrow. I ordered a EGR Plate to put in, but afrter moving the truck around a bit I notice more of a turbo whistle than I normally remember hearing on other duramax trucks. Does this mean I already have an egr block or is there "issues" in my turbo? I haven't gotten to actually drive the truck down the road yet, but just noticed the whistle while moving it around the shop.

Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Could be the oil being used, I've heard some oils can cause more whistle/ticking while other oils make the engine noticeably quieter.

·
Registered
63 Posts
when you put the exhaust on and get rid of the DPF, you will have to get a tuner or EFI live to shut off the Fault code, if you dont your truck will go into limp mode and stay in DPF constantly

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
its cuz it has a variable vane turbo. you can here them pretty good stock but they are loud with exhaust

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks guys! The DPF was already deleted when I got it so it must have some kind of programing done to it. I didn't like the exhaust that was on it... Good to hear about the turbo. Having fun buying all the little parts and pieces. I know a guy in town that does efi live so I will be bringing it over there soon just to have him check it out and tune it to his specs. I'm not a diesel head like you guys yet, but I can feel the addiction coming on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts