Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wanting to put on an exhaust and intake on my 09. After I first got the truck new in winter of 09 I put in a K & N air filter and it put my truck into limp mode. I was curious if I upgrade my truck with exhaust and intake, would a tunner be need too?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes, i have same truck and did my tuner tonight ad exhaust will be in the next week or so.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Yes to delete any emissions, you need a tuner to trick the computers and offset the codes. I would recommend looking into EFI Live

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awsome. Now what exhaust would you recommend. Not looking for something with a lot of bark. I actually enjoy how quiet it is now. Something close to stock. Not lolling to turn it into a racer. Just some more power and maybe better mielage.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ill be doing a 4in Flo pro with muffler. Local shop said that a good choice the quiet side.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ill be doing a 4in Flo pro with muffler. Local shop said that a good choice the quiet side.
Yes, this a good combo if you like quiet. Sounds pretty throaty when you get on it & can hear the turbo whistle a bit more. I love mine !!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That sounds like it's exactly what I am looking for. Paired with a cold air intake and a programer to take care of the codes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You don't need a cold air intake unless you are going to be making more than 500hp. I have a 5" magnaflow downpipe back system with a muffler and it is quiet when cruising and sounds really good when i get on it. I would also suggest EFI live for your tuner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So do I need to keep one of those big screens in my truck. Or is it something I can plug in and unplug after it does its thing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You plug it in, flash the tune to your truck, and unplug it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yes sir I did

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hey Farmer.....As Gweber said, you don't need aftermarket CAI unless you're hitting 500+ horsepower. Just do the exhaust, EFILive & something like Edge Insight CS or CTS w/egt probe. I also blocked the EGR. The last couple tanks I hand calculated back in September were right at 21.3mpg running my 90hp tune. Heck, last time I towed my enormous toyhauler I averaged 15.1mpg on the 65hp heavy tow w/turbo brake tune. Very satisfied with these truck mods. Money well spent. Good luck to ya !!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts