Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Silverado 3500 with the stock Bose OEM stereo and I use the front aux input regularly. Made the mistake of using a short cable from my cell phone to the aux input, hit a bump in the road and the cell phone suction-cup mount let go and it broke the aux jack.

I took the radio out of the truck on the weekend and took the circuit board apart. The piece of plastic that holds the 3.5mm jack in place was broken and part of it was barely sitting there. Thought that maybe I could just glue it back together with some crazy glue, and it worked great...for about 10 minutes. I think the glue has again separated.

At this point, I might be better off to just buy a new 3.5mm jack and replace the one that's there but I don't know how easy/difficult getting a compatible part will be. I'm pretty good at soldering so not worried about that part. Does anyone have any details on where I could either get the replacement part or at least what the specs on this jack are?

Alternatively, maybe there's a way of wiring up a headphone jack and connecting it to the back of the head unit? If so, perhaps I could go this route instead and then I could install the new jack in the centre console.

Thanks

·
Registered
2012 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ
25 Posts
Is yours like this one out of my 2012. It's a Bose unit also and I just recently replaced it with an aftermarket stereo.

Gadget Gas Electronic device Display device Machine

If it's the same, here is the back of the case. No visible way to patch in a 3.5mm AUX jack. The 3 round ports are for GPS, Satellite Radio, and On-Star. Then there's the mini-USB that ties into the USB in the center console storage. Lastly there are the 3 big multi-pin connectors for speakers, backup camera, and OBD2-type data.

Audio equipment Gas Electronic instrument Bumper Machine

I actually liked the stock Bose unit, but the upgrade (Alpine iLX-407) turned out to be better in almost every way. Even better backup camera resolution. I do miss my old CDs though. I also miss having knobs to turn. Guess I'm just a dinosaur. LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is yours like this one out of my 2012. It's a Bose unit also and I just recently replaced it with an aftermarket stereo.

View attachment 1094367

If it's the same, here is the back of the case. No visible way to patch in a 3.5mm AUX jack. The 3 round ports are for GPS, Satellite Radio, and On-Star. Then there's the mini-USB that ties into the USB in the center console storage. Lastly there are the 3 big multi-pin connectors for speakers, backup camera, and OBD2-type data.

View attachment 1094368

I actually liked the stock Bose unit, but the upgrade (Alpine iLX-407) turned out to be better in almost every way. Even better backup camera resolution. I do miss my old CDs though. I also miss having knobs to turn. Guess I'm just a dinosaur. LOL
Thanks for your reply. Nope, my stereo is a bit different than that. It's this one:

While I'd love to just swap out the deck, my understanding is that would kill the roof-mounted LCD screen for the kids in the back seat as I'm not aware of any 3rd party decks that would work with that.

·
Registered
2012 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ
25 Posts
If you ever chose to upgrade the stereo, all factory functionality can be retained (except for the factory navagation system but it will be replaced by the android or iphone version). iDatalink makes the module that interfaces between the stereo's wiring and the trucks wiring. It manages all the connectivity between the vehicle and the stereo.

I don't have rear seat entertainment in my 2012, but my stereo and iDatalink had all the options availalble to set it up if needed. I attached the Alpine version of their owner's guide just for the heck of it. It has a section on Page 5 specifically discussing rear seat video. The iDatalink works with almost any stereo, though. Not just Alpine.

Not trying to convince you one way or the other, but if your factory setup is falling apart, you won't be giving up anything if you choose to upgrade to aftermarket.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts