Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so this is for my dad's truck. He has a 2009 duramax with 7000 miles on it. The dealer changed the oil at 5500 and switched it over to delo synethic(stealership oil). We checked his oil last week and it was gross and black and smelled off so just to be safe dad pulled a sample well it came back today, oil has 7% diesel already. How do you stop this?
He is going to dump the oil this weekend and switch to amsoil.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You'll need to delete the DPF and stop the regeneration cycle to get rid of the fuel diluting the oil. Amsoil put out a bulletin on this and it effects Dodge and Ford as well and it doesn't matter what brand of oil you use. Welcome to stricter emission standards and whining about black diesel smoke. Here's a quote from Amsoil's website.
AMSOIL published Technical Service Bulletin MO-2009-10-01
"identifying" high fuel dilution in 2007-2010 light duty
diesel pickups (Dodge 6.7L, Ford 6.4L, and GM/GMC 6.6L LMM)
equipped with diesel particulate filters. Amsoil has revised
the drain interval recommendation for these specific
applications to the longest manufacturer-recommended
interval. Oil drain intervals can be extended further with
oil analysis.

·
Registered
150 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i told dad that switching oils was not going to change a thing and that the dpf was casuing it. He is not about to go delete the dpf. So there is no fix besides disabling dpf? that doesn't make since?

·
Vendor
11,002 Posts
First off everyone is correct, the oil is not the problem. If you read through the thread we have running on this, click here, you will see the history on it. Is your dad using this as short commute daily driver? I ask because that is one thing that could be causing the higher fuel dilution. Allowing the engine to get up to normal operating temperature through longer drives or hauling keeps the DPF clean without regen.

From a webinar we watched from AMSOIL if you have fuel dilution over 4-5% you have something else going on and the truck being under warranty should be checked by the dealer.

Now, the one thing I will say about AMSOIL is in recent lab testing, AMSOIL is holding its viscosity and lubrication qualities through moderate to heavy fuel dilution testing. See for yourself by clicking here.

If I can answer any more questions about this or help with AMSOIL products, don't hesitate to ask.

Take care,

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
i told dad that switching oils was not going to change a thing and that the dpf was casuing it. He is not about to go delete the dpf. So there is no fix besides disabling dpf? that doesn't make since?
does your dad live in King, Snohomish, or Peirce County?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
no he lives in walla walla. He called the dealer today and they said they have not heard of the 09's doing that but the 08's and 07's yes. Anyway he has an appointment on monday they are going to look at it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.