Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at two different fifth wheels. We have a 2011 Chevrolet 2500HD LTZ crew can with the 6.6 liter Duramax. The first trailer has a hitch pin
Hitch Weight1985 lbs
thats a 2020 Forest River Heritage Glen 295BH

and the second is a 2020 Grand Design with a
Hitch Weight1545 lbs
Both have loaded vehicle weight around 11000 pounds. I know my GCVWR is around 25,000 pounds. Will I be okay with either one of these trailers? I do have airbags installed but need to get a new air compressor for them.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
You need to know that almost every hitch weight published is incorrect by 10% to 25% on the light side compared to an actual trailer while in use. Go the trailer owners webpage and ask if anyone with your model has ACTUAL PIN WEIGHT from being weighed on a scale. Also, your truck's capacity makes a huge difference. For instance, if you have 4WD, your towing capacity is DECREASED because of the weight of the transfer case, driveshaft, and front differential. Start with your truck, figure out what it's actual load capacity is, add a couple of occupants in the truck, dogs, kids, tools, etc, and then come up with a realistic figure. Or better yet, load everyone in your family up and scale your truck - it's money well spent.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
I would imagine either one would be fine. But it would always be good to double check everything. Take the rear axle weight on a cat scale minus the weight rating of your rear tires. That will give you actual legal capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts