Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the site and the duramax. Well, as the title states I have a 2011 LML with a broken crankshaft. Truck is bone stock with 133k miles. Is it just me or is it rediculous that this happened? The truck is sitting at the dealership now. Waiting to hear if GM is going to help with the repair costs. I've read of quite a few of the older models having this issue but they usually have a tune or a ton of miles. Is this issue going to continue continue into the LML line of engines?

·
Registered
626 Posts
I would be curious to see if there is any connection to the stock balancer and it's weak crank pin. Mine was bent at stock power levels and there have been other cases as well.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Crank failure is definitely rare. Doesn't make it feel any better when it's yours that fails.

How long have you owned the truck? Any chance it was tuned by previous owner?

Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've only owned it for 7 months. About a month after I bought it, the ecm went out. So it has a brand new ecm. Not sure if the previous owner tuned it or not. What makes things worse is that I'm 1800 miles from home in Arizona. I'll keep the post up to date.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok guys, here's an update. The dealer is saying they spoke with GM and they both agree the engine needs to be replaced. The dealer says the total all in cost is $21000 and GM is agrreing to pay $6800 of that. The dealer says it's so high because he thinks it will need a new turbo, pump and injectors. I may be new to the duramax but why would it need all of those? I'm currently in talks with GM to add a little more help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope so. I really don't have 15k laying around. Anyone know why the dealer wants to replace the other parts I listed? Without those parts, I could almost manage paying to get it fixed.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Are you sure it needs a turbo, injectors, and a CP4?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's why I was asking. All of thise parts were without issue. I've never had a single problem with any of those parts. I feel like the dealer is trying to add more to it than needs to be done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just spoke with him again. Now he is saying because the crankshaft broke the core is no good either. I've seen broken cranks that didn't destroy the core.

·
Registered
224 Posts
yeah i could maybe see turbo. my thinking is maybe metal came off the crank and into the oil system that being said oil filter should have caught that. if it were me id run it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
That is the exact failure I always worry about when I am far from home. I always told myself I would bite the bullet and spend the money to tow my truck and trailer home and tear into it myself, couple grand getting it home, thousands on new parts and checking others but a lot less than repaired on the road. Hate to hear your bad luck, can't believe GM won't help more. I doubt so much metal came off to trash the turbo but you never know, if it was an immediate failure or did it vibrate and run like shit for a while would be a deciding factor on that. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
21 grand are you kidding me. You can buy a nice used truck for that.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I know that a lot of companies offer complete engines, I remember looking at a site a while back but not sure if they offered your specific engine. I am pretty sure that they are all blueprinted assemblies. Good warranty, look up blackwater engines, I think they are on the east coast but it's worth looking at.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
I thought that I read somewhere a while back that a new long block from gm was somewhere in the 6,000 range. I agree with the other that I would take my chances with the other parts as the oil filter should have caught most everything that loose.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I'm gonna take a chence on the other parts. If that much material got past the pil filter then I'm gonna give wix a call. He said not putting the other parts on would save 6200. I'm still arguing that I should lose the 3500 core charge. I'll keep everyone up to date on whether GM is going to kick in a little more help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry I didn't mean WIX on the oil filter. I use a factory oil filter. On another note, I do have a shop that says they can rebuild the bottom end for 6000 tops. Can it even be rebuilt?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts