Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my truck at the dealer for a new def level sensor a few weeks ago (no surprise), they said I should change my trans fluid bc they could tell the filter was original from new. Truck has 73k on it. They also said I should do the diff/transfer case for the 4x4 system. All totaling over $1000 so I held off at the time. My buddy has a 2015 LML with 150k+ miles on it and he says he’s never changed the trans/diff fluids and has had no problems. What are your guys thoughts on this? We both do medium duty towing of trailers from 5-10k pounds but only between may-September once/three times a month

·
Registered
571 Posts
It would cost you about $100 and a few hours of labor to do it yourself. Maybe add another couple bucks for beverages but you will Dave a lot of money compared to the dealership

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
78k miles isn’t a lot. However, if you pull a fair amount then it’s a good idea-not necessary-but won’t hurt a thing. Maybe just wait and get fluid here and there and change it at 100k. And do it yourself. I did all my running gear fluids for around $175 or so. Including an internal trans filter. Most local auto stores will take the old fluid too.

·
Registered
404 Posts
would it void my warranty if I did the work ? I have the tools to do it
Warranty!! Title says 2011, your warranty sailed about 4 years ago. And even if you have extended warranty they probably won't cover it cause you didn't change it at the mileage they have in the fine print.

·
Registered
535 Posts
The spin on transmission filter is extremely easy to change and only about $10, I do mine every other oil change.
The differentials are pretty dang easy to drain and refill as well. They both have drain and fill plugs, so you don't have to pull the cover. For the front one it is easier to fill if you have hand pump with a small hose you can screw onto the gear oil bottle (you can buy these for cheap from many different places), at stock height it's a bit difficult to get a quart bottle up there without it. For the classic trucks you only need 7 quarts to do both differentials, I believe the new trucks are the same.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Take a quick look for the change intervals online.

Do the work yourself. Cheaper, done right, and satisfying.

All the work listed is simple and easy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts