Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new to this site and in need of some help
was on the road and my cooling fan came apart/ a blade snapped off/ and went through my radiator. my temp went from 21- to almost max immediatly. i was watching gauges as it had beeen getting warm due to uphill and pulling a very large camper. i got the vechicle stopped almost immmediatly.
replaced fan/new radiator and tryed following directions online on refilling the coolant system.i kept running low on coolant but couldnt find the leak. let it run for a hr at idle//running temp and kept finding fluid on inner fender well under surge tank and running down toward headlight/ air filter box. it WOULDNT leak just running sitting at idele. so i assumed bottom of surge tank was leaking.
i removed surge tank bolts, cleaned all fluiid off area, and let it run for over a hr. had it on its side, still hooked up and never leaked a drop.i even reved it up for a while and got it up to 210, which it has always ran while driving it. put back together aand have found out while actually driving it, its blowing coolant out of top side of surge tank that is against the inner top fender. there is like a factory hole at the top side of it that seems to me like the older vechicles overflow tank that would have a hose hooked to it it to let out excess. but there is no hose to it, just and indentention at the top with a inset hole.
so it blows fluid out while driving, but not setting at idle.
please help

·
Premium Member
4,644 Posts
Sounds like a blown head gasket to me. Check your upper radiator hose after it has been shut off for a while. If it is still hard like a tennis ball this will confirm it.

·
Taking the Long Way Home
3,273 Posts
What he said
If you had a temp spike possibly warped head and blew a gasket, the latter is a worse case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 3 of 3 Posts