Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this truck & trying to understand this coolant tank. When looking at the truck from the front end, the right side of the tank has coolant the coolant visible & the left side has nothing. What's the deal with this tank?
Thanks

Premium Member
It's a multi-chamber surge tank.
There's a lot more to it than just a bottle as with an overflow tank.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it's normal? And what type of coolant does the 2011 use. I'm just below the min line.

Registered
If it's between the min and max on the tank on the drivers side then it's good. Passenger side tank will be empty.

Tank is pressurized. Don't open when hot.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it's below the min level. Is it a 50/50 of distilled water & red coolant? And is the red a special type for GM or diesels?

Premium Member
Dexcool.

Premium Member
Dexcool and non-maintenance....didn't play well with gaskets.

You have to keep it full, muy importante! Chronic low levels does the deed with air intrusion.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys, picked some up today. Hopefully it is just low & there isn't some hidden issue Im unaware about because Im about to take this thing on a road trip, just trying to make sure she's ready to roll.

Registered
Dexcool and non-maintenance....didn't play well with gaskets.

You have to keep it full, muy importante! Chronic low levels does the deed with air intrusion.
I had a 2003 S10 and I do remember there was a class action suit against GM.

I think the lawyers got $2.5 billion and those in the suit got 10 cents each. Just kidding but that seems that's the way it works out.

My S10 did develop a very slight leak around the intake manifold around the rear of the engine as I recall. When I had it last flushed and new hoses put on I had them replace the Dexcool with regular green colored coolant back then. I traded it off and never did anything with the leak. It never got any worse after I changed the coolant.

Premium Member
Yep, and as a result, GM did extensive testing with the results being....they (owners) didn't maintain the coolant properly. As in, chronic low fluid levels (air intrusion) along with a caustic pH from never being changed. But mainly, the air in the system was the overwhelming culprit.

My square Dime had over 300k miles on it, pulling trailers far bigger than it was, up slopes that'd scare sheep. All with a little 2.8L v6 with a 5-spd shaker. 11 years, all original under the hood. Never a coolant leak or problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts