Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Ok, cause I don't know how anyone could get that one bolt on the bottom right where it makes a 90 degree turn. The cooler looks like it's bolted to a egr valve in the back that looks like it's bolted to the up-pipe riser. Did you unbolt the valve from the riser and pull the cooler and the valve out as one? Or did you unbolt the cooler from the valve and pulled just the cooler and then unbolted the valve from the riser? If you pulled the cooler from the valve that's connected to the riser, I'm curious how you got those 4 bolts off. There's one bolt that looks like there is no room to get anything on it. They're all facing away from you if you're laying on the engine. I'm assuming you unbolted the valve from the riser from underneath the truck.
Yes the EGR and coolers stayed together. Here are a couple pics.

1. EGR + coolers, up pipe plus a couple other pieces laid out on driveway.
2. Engine before bolting stuff back together,

It was a pain in the neck (and other places) and I understand wanting to bolt it back together!
You are on the right track.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well you waited 5 years to do all your deletes on you truck ! Is it bad I only want to wait 500 miles lol bad ass truck man congrats

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Well you waited 5 years to do all your deletes on you truck ! Is it bad I only want to wait 500 miles lol bad ass truck man congrats
Thanks!:grin2:
I waited until my warranty was up. With less than 40,000 miles on her I am hoping to have this one for many more years!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Yeah, I can't move or wiggle it with my hands through the wheel well at all. I guess today after work I'm going to go get a larger pry bar or crowbar to see if I can't get a gap up top. I sprayed the top section where the downpipe meets the turbo with the liquid wrench so maybe that'll get in there and help some after sitting all night and all day today. I'm just ready to start putting parts on instead of still taking parts off!

Also, arizonaphatz did you take the egr cooler off as one piece or in 2 pieces?
Hey Dmax4life, any luck on getting that down pipe to move?
I am interested in your progress. Hopefully the weather plus schedules and life in general are cooperating.
Peace

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Hey Dmax4life, any luck on getting that down pipe to move?
I am interested in your progress. Hopefully the weather plus schedules and life in general are cooperating.
Peace
I didn't get a chance to work on it last night. Between working late, the cold, street outlaws HAHA and hardly being able to keep my eyes open...I figured I'd get a good nights rest and I'm gonna give it a go this evening. I did stop and get a large crowbar, so I'll see if that's going to free up the downpipe.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I didn't get a chance to work on it last night. Between working late, the cold, street outlaws HAHA and hardly being able to keep my eyes open...I figured I'd get a good nights rest and I'm gonna give it a go this evening. I did stop and get a large crowbar, so I'll see if that's going to free up the downpipe.
Let us know

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Well a little update from tonight. Got a little time to work on the truck. Well the crowbar up inside the downpipe worked! It loosened up and then I fought it for about 20 min before I got it completely off the truck. And I didnt even take the heat shield off the downpipe, it all came out together. So now the only thing I have left is unbolt the egr valve from the up-pipe riser and unbolt the up-pipe. Then I can finally start installing parts!

I took the heat shield off to show the huge difference in the stock and aftermarket downpipe.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Well a little update from tonight. Got a little time to work on the truck. Well the crowbar up inside the downpipe worked! It loosened up and then I fought it for about 20 min before I got it completely off the truck. And I didnt even take the heat shield off the downpipe, it all came out together. So now the only thing I have left is unbolt the egr valve from the up-pipe riser and unbolt the up-pipe. Then I can finally start installing parts!

I took the heat shield off to show the huge difference in the stock and aftermarket downpipe.
Glad to see the progress. Mostly down hill from here on out! :smile2:
Nice comparison picture. These engines see some lower rpm's and I am no engineer but that really seems excessive to me. 'dunno;

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's no wonder these motors scream at high RPM....they are trying to breath haha. I hate the scream the stock DP creates at high RPM.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Yeah I know! If we can fit a full 3" pipe back there with no clearance issues then they can easily redesign the stock downpipe to better compliment these engines.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
It's no wonder these motors scream at high RPM....they are trying to breath haha. I hate the scream the stock DP creates at high RPM.
I already forgot about most pre delete sounds. :wink2:
All of the different sounds it makes now are like music to my ears. Actually hearing the turbo whine, the whoosh and whistles when the pressure is released, the growl of the exhaust.... are beautiful to my ears and another delete benefit for me! :grin2:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Yeah I know! If we can fit a full 3" pipe back there with no clearance issues then they can easily redesign the stock downpipe to better compliment these engines.
Yes, and re engineering a pile of other parts would make to much sense also. 'uhNo
I guess they have made some of it better?
Deletes popular on the new ones yet? 'dunno;

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Well I sure am ready to feel and hear what's it's like to have a fully deleted and straight piped duramax again!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Well I sure am ready to feel and hear what's it's like to have a fully deleted and straight piped duramax again!
This being my first diesel I had no prior reference. Now that I am in the know I can understand your feelings. :laugh:
Any progress getting the up pipe off?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
This being my first diesel I had no prior reference. Now that I am in the know I can understand your feelings.
He already got the pipe off with a crow bar. I think he is going to put on the new parts this weekend

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
This being my first diesel I had no prior reference. Now that I am in the know I can understand your feelings. :laugh:
I'm gonna give her a go this evening for a couple of hours. Most of my work will be done Fri night after work. Hopefully can get the up-pipe off and egr cooler out of there Fri night and then start the installations this weekend! It's definitely been a struggle but now I feel a lot better knowing I took my old LLY all the way down to do head gaskets and diving off into the LML. I like gaining the knowledge of the different duramax engines even though they're not really all that different.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I'm gonna give her a go this evening for a couple of hours. Most of my work will be done Fri night after work. Hopefully can get the up-pipe off and egr cooler out of there Fri night and then start the installations this weekend! It's definitely been a struggle but now I feel a lot better knowing I took my old LLY all the way down to do head gaskets and diving off into the LML. I like gaining the knowledge of the different duramax engines even though they're not really all that different.
Cool. :cool
With the down pipe out of the way it makes a little more room for a few of the PITA up pipe bolts!
once those are done it really is down hill from there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Can't wait to get mine done in the next couple weeks. Just waiting on my EFI Live and an open shop bay and it's a done deal.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Can't wait to get mine done in the next couple weeks. Just waiting on my EFI Live and an open shop bay and it's a done deal.
:smile2: Gotta love deletes! Well, I do anyway. :grin2:

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
How's progress ?

61 - 80 of 104 Posts