Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Denali HD will be here next week. I know there isn't much out yet aftermarket wise, but I have still been doing alot of reading and research about mods and anything diesel. Today I came across the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. To make it brief, it basically states that aftermarket parts can not void your warranty and it is mandated by federal law. The only way your warranty service can be denied is if there is direct proof that the aftermarket part is what caused the problem. This is the first I've heard about this so I may be missing the entire picture on this. But people say pretty much anything voids your warranty now days. I'm just curious to see if anyone else has heard of this and what their opinion on it is. I guess I'm just anxious to get my truck so any chance I have to talk about it, I love. But if this Warranty Act is legit then I'd love to see my brand new Denali with an 8'' lift rollin 38s and 20s.. Any input would be great guys.. Thanks!!

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,976 Posts
The problem with it is the dealer basically makes you prove it did not. It is costly and GM has a hell of a team of lawyers. The new trucks also store information on what the truck was doing when it failed. So if you were running a hot tune it would show you were producing more power than the designed limits.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
what he said , if gm say its what did it , well what do u do , u may have a lawyer but at the end itll cost a hell of alot more then to just fix what u broke , i have yet been denied warranty ,, oh nevermind yes paint and body oh well

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
theres a lot of laws out there.

But none of them mean anything. Its all about who has the better lawyer.

Yes the rules state that the part must be proven to have caused the failed part to fail. That is even a TSB from gm stating that. But the power lies in the service writers hands.

So your warrenty cannot ever be void, only claims can be denied.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The basic idea behind the act ---

GM cannot require you--- to use only GM parts- filters, spark plugs and etc --- or require all work done by GM during the warranty period, .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.