Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my fuel filter in my truck for the first time & purchased it from the dealer. They gave me TP3018 but once I pulled out the one in my truck it was TP3012. They also failed to give me the larger oring for the filter so I had to reuse the old one. Does this filter take the place of the older version?
Also, anyone have issues with the plastic bolt on top of the housing used to help prime the fuel system? I'm thinking I better invest in a few spares. I have to drive this from Florida to PA over the holidays so I need to know I'm good for the long hike.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
From what I've read TP3018 supersedes TP3012.

Also, instead of buying multiple replacement plastic bleeder screws, get a metal replacement from some place like Merchant. They are around $10.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
It's the new part number for the old TP3012. Supposedly, something has changed with the design, but we haven't seen any part number changes from Parker-Racor yet.

The bleeder screw seals via a small O-ring. It's not un-common to see them be 'overtightened' and strip the threads, causing them to leak.

Snug it up is all it takes, the O-ring seals before the bolt head ever even touches to seat. It's not a lug nut, but some seem to think it is. :rolleyes:

Note: Several DF Vendors sell metal replacements. But again, don't torque it and it won't strip.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Best filter to use at this time which is a direct replacement and includes the threading for the WIF sensor, is the 2-micron Baldwin BF9882. It is a great deal better than the ACDelco filter. Filter specs are provided at a stated particle size so the ACDelco filters out up to 98.7% of particles 4-microns in size and larger while the Baldwin filters out 98.7% of particles 2-microns and larger in size.

There is a tremendous difference between these two filtration rates with the Baldwin having the potential to filter out 90% of the particles that the ACDelco will let pass through and into the 29,000 PSI fuel injection system to get blased against the injector solenoids.

Diesel is very dirty fuel with 1.8 million particles in a gallon of diesel fuel sold in North America. Even 98.7% at 4-microns allows 240,000 particles to pass into the high pressure common rail fuel system.

Important to use the best filter you can get but not to replace the filter prematurely. Fuel filters, as with air filters, are more effective when loaded. Replacing them more often actually causes more harm than good for the engine.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
In researching for a LP filter, I ran across this....

Baldwin said:
We do not have the true 2 micron rating because you can not accurately measure 2 micron particles because it saturates the particle counters. It will be in the low to mid 90% range though. Also, how you measure particles has changed so what was once considered a 2 micron particle is now a 5 micron particle, the particle size did not change but how you measure it did. That is why Caterpillar still calls their filter 98% efficient at 2 micron........
BF7633 and Cat 1R0750 are both 4 micron absolute. You can not test to 2 micron and they will both test 4 micron absolute on a multi-pass test.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I purchased a luber finer filter to install. First time doing this. Can I get to it from the topside or do I need to go through the wheel well. Would rather not pull the wheel and inner well liner if I don't have to. Any suggestions? Thankyou....

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
You don't have to pull the wheel, just the liner.

One of these will make short work of it.
Push Pin Pliers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks, Harbour Freight nearby, I'll check em out...

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Highly recommend getting one of those small access doors you put on your wheel well liner. Much easier than removing the entire liner.

I also had a hell of a time getting a band wrench around the filter due to the tight spacing. One of these helped tremendously.MadJack Racing 3/8 - MadJack Diesel Performance

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
You've got the spacer....but for others,

Re-route your fuel heater harness so it's on the outside of the filter, instead of on the engine side where it can bind while trying to get the wrench on. :thumb

·
Registered
850 Posts
Best filter to use at this time which is a direct replacement and includes the threading for the WIF sensor, is the 2-micron Baldwin BF9882. It is a great deal better than the ACDelco filter. Filter specs are provided at a stated particle size so the ACDelco filters out up to 98.7% of particles 4-microns in size and larger while the Baldwin filters out 98.7% of particles 2-microns and larger in size.

I'd sure like to see your evidence that the Baldwin is 2 micron absolute. I don't believe that's correct.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts

I'd sure like to see your evidence that the Baldwin is 2 micron absolute. I don't believe that's correct.
Don't hold your breath. That guy comes on here every couple of weeks and posts some long winded fluff like he's an expert on the topic with absolute zero data to back up his claims. He just plagiarizes crap he reads on the internet and posts it here.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Don't hold your breath. That guy comes on here every couple of weeks and posts some long winded fluff like he's an expert on the topic with absolute zero data to back up his claims. He just plagiarizes crap he reads on the internet and posts it here.
Ha ha I thought that might be the case, because what he posted is definitely not correct.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts