Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The crankshaft on my 2011 GMC 2500 Duramax 6.6 LML with 93,000 miles broke while towing my 5th wheel up Vail Pass. I need to replace the engine and am getting lot of varying advice. I have received quotes for Jasper ($7500) and US Engine ($6000) for long block rebuilt engines. The Chevy dealer is also quoting a "GM" crate engine ($12,000 parts and tax) which I imagine is a long block rebuilt engine from a rebuilder. US Engine claims to be a GM certified rebuilder. Any advice on which way to go would be appreciated.

Also, should I replace the fuel system or reuse the old pump and injectors? These are quite expensive as well.

·
Registered
364 Posts
You must be furioius - I am mad for you! Could your driving manner possibly have been a factor
? Can you tell us at what rpms and throttle settings you were pulling that pass at, when the thing "gernaded"...?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
You never mentioned the warranty provided for these engines which for me would be a very important consideration. The crankshaft was a defective when manufactured and there is nothing you can do about it now.

There is also the option of replacing the crankshaft only. I would check with a shop as to how practical it will be for your engine. I have done this with a gas V-8 and crankshaft damage is not an unusual occurence with hot rodders and racers.

·
Super Moderator
1,165 Posts
The truck is nine years old. There is no warranty remaining. Unfortunately, you got very unlucky with the snapped crank--it's been a long time issue on Duramax engines, from LB7 to LML. Pretty rare problem overall but does happen, and seemingly at random. Low miles, high miles, tuned, stock, etc...

I have no advice on which way to go on choosing a rebuilt long block as I'm not in the United States. I doubt you can really go wrong with any of them. Heck, if money is an issue, I would even be looking at maybe getting a low mileage engine out of a wrecker if possible.

Injectors I wouldn't bother with. I would, however, recommend replacing the CP4 pump with a CP3 pump. I would hate for you to put in a new long block only to have your CP4 grenade and take the injectors out with it, leading to another pretty $10,000+ bill.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You must be furioius - I am mad for you! Could your driving manner possibly have been a factor
? Can you tell us at what rpms and throttle settings you were pulling that pass at, when the thing "gernaded"...?
I am not happy at all about this as it appears it is a relatively frequent defect and GM knew it. I am replacing with a Jasper rebuilt long block engine and total will be around 13K with labor. RPMs were just below 3000. Throttle was not floored, but was probably 75% as it was an uphill steep grade. Driving could have been an issue. I'm kicking myself for not taking it easier and possibly slower, but mechanics say it likely would not have made a difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts