Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work for a new car dealership and ordered a new 2011 GMC Duramax and got it in December of last year. Had the urea tank issues right away and recently the lattest recall. After about amonth of owning the truck the low coolant light came on. Brought it into our shop, and they couldnt find anything and topped off the tank. It happened again another month later and the shop again couldnt find a leak and thought that the factory didnt top it off correctly. I took a trip from Michigan to New Hampshire and while going through canada the light came on again.. I bought coolant added some and again didnt see any leaks...

Fast forward to last week, I was hooking up my trailer pointing the nose down the driveway and had fluid leaking from the front.. Brought it to work on that saturday, went into our quick lube and found 2 leaks...

One was the coolant bottle hose underneath.( Fluid seeping down hose under the bottle ) The spring clamp had fused to the rubber hose and had ate away at the rubber. I looked on the gm computer and found a service issue with the clamp. Its suppose to be swapped out to a regular worm drive clamp.. So I went remove the spring clamp and found it had welded itself to the rubber hose.. Cut the hose back added the worm drive clamp.. The spring clamp had eaten right through the rubber hose...

So refilled the coolant bottle let it run and saw more fluid coming out from the fan shroud.. Couldnt find the leak and checked all the hoses, nothing.. Stuck my phone camera up in there and found that the radiator itself ( Back drivers side ) was shooting out fluid. Brought it into the shop this week, they pulled and replaced the radiator . The leak was not visible. No bent fins, scrapes or damage anywhere... The end tanks were clean also...

Just thought I would post this issue up in cae you have a coolant light issue or notice a drop in level.

7500 miles on the truck and not happy with all the issues so far..

Oh and they noticed the oil pan was seeping pretty good also...( Forehead slap )

I dont abuse the truck and like everything about it, but thinking next year of getting a 2012 and hope for better luck...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Yea new engine models always have some little flaws in them. Sorry for the bad luck

·
Registered
28 Posts
I took delievery of a new Silverado 3500 in December. Drove it home and parked it in the garage -- 17 miles on the odometer. The next morning I go out to the garage and there was about a pint of radiator fluid in the garage floor on the driver's side. It really blew the dealership away -- they were in total disbelief. They found that the radiator was cracked. GM Warranty (I guess) wanted it back to examine. Anyway, I since have put 18300+ miles on it including 13,000 towing miles with a 15K 5th wheel and no radiator problems. By the way, the towing I did this summer was to NWT about 110 miles above the Artic Circle with the 5th wheel in tow. There were over 1000 miles of unpaved roads and the worse roads I have ever towed over. The trailer suffered some suspension damage, but truck performed flawlessly. I just hope there is not hidden stress damage that will rear it's ugly head at a later date.

I too had did have a problem at about 4K with the coolant bottle leaking. I was traveling and had it fix on the road. So far, no leaks yet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had the problems with the DEF tank and the coolant leak from the hose under the tank but on mine they said the clamp slipped off. Since then I have added coolant a few times but only a very small amount. If I have to add again I will bring it in and bring this up. Thank you for this info. Sorry for your bad luck though.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Sorry to hear that you guys are having issues!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts