Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my truck exactly 9 years ago today. It has 109K miles. I love it and decided I want to keep it another 9 years. But, it's showing it's age and updates are in order. The look will change from offroad to more street.

Phase 1 changes are done. I installed new Morimoto XB LED headlights. They came with a set of matching LED fogs. But, I didn't have fog lights. That led to a full conversion of the front bumper. The black headlights also led to a new black grille, grille logo, and paintable hood trim. Lastly, the stainless bed rails and bed rail caps were removed to allow for the installation of a used Undercover hard tonneau I picked up. This will get painted white during Phase 2.

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good.
Thanks.

Phase 2 will be all about the paint. Basically, the entire outside of the truck will get painted. The flares and possibly the steps will be coming off along with the body side molding. It will get a two tone black and white paint job. I'm keeping the chrome on the door and tailgate handles, but will color match the front bumper top cap, tailgate cap, and tailgate handle bezel. The tail lights and 3rd brake light will also be color matched.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The front end of that truck looks sick; well done!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I bought the hard tonneau, I thought my wife and I could lift it on and off no problem as it only weighs 60 lbs. But, the wife struggled to lift it above her shoulders. I needed a simple way to install and remove it. This is what I came up with. I used adjustable speaker stands, 10' 2"X4" lumber, 1/4" steel L brackets, rubber coated hooks, and lots of square U-bolts. In just a few minutes, I can have the cover off and drive out from under it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tonneau cover is in the paint shop getting colormatched white along with a new tailgate cap and a new tailgate handle bezel. I should have that stuff back early next week. Meanwhile, I got my colormatched tails installed. I opted to do the LED pod backup lights in black just to be different. There will still be a bunch of black on the truck. Those backup lights are seriously bright!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've also finally gathered all the parts needed for Phase 3, a big suspension drop. These are 3" drop spindle steering knuckles fabricated by 519 Kustomz and 3" drop leaf springs custom made by Eaton Detroit Spring. The leafs have the same load capacity as factory. I really only tow about 6500 lbs these days and don't haul anything heavy in the bed, either. I can pull the overloads out if I want more drop. Plus, I'll get 2" from the drop shackles. This gives me some adjustability. I can stick with 3" or maybe get all the way down to around 5+".

·
Registered
239 Posts
How many $$$$ for the spindles? Looks like some grinding and then a powder coat finish ahead!
how low can u go on the rear before you have clearance issues with rear axle and frame? what are u going to use f0r shorter shocks?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was quoted $1400 for new spindles last year, but could never get the guy to actually build a set. I got these used for much less.

Unsure about your other questions. Will find out once I get into the project. That’s why I allowed for a big range of drop.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Removed the body side molding and installed a new black oval exhaust tip this weekend...

How was the install of those tow mirrors (lights, harness, etc etc)?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How was the install of those tow mirrors (lights, harness, etc etc)?
Not difficult at all. They bolt right on and plug right in. If you want to make the running lights work, then you need to run a ground wire and a hot wire to the fuse box. I didn't bother with that as I'm planning to replace these in the future with sequential switchback mirrors, so only the blinkers function right now.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Since your doing paint you might consider ceramic coating the truck and lock in that beauty and never have to mess around with wax again! Nice rig 👌🏻

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
What are u going to use for shorter shocks?
I was giving this question some thought. I run Bilstein 5100 shocks. On the front, they should be fine. I'm just lowering the torsion bars back down to stock and the 3" spindles don't impact the shock travel. In the rear, however, I will need to measure the collapsed and extended lengths once I get the springs installed and see if the shocks fall within these specs...

Rear Shocks:

Series: 5100

Rear Extended Length(in): 26.79

Rear Collapsed Length(in): 16.42

Part Number: 24-196468

If they don't work, a buddy of mine that races a rally truck says that Bilstein custom makes shocks to any spec you want. I'm hoping that what I need can be bought right off this OEM list.

https://www.my4by.com/bilstein-shock-specs

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the painted tonneau back today along with a painted tailgate top cap and handle bezel. I'm diggin' it. I plan to get a vinyl window treatment done for the back window in white with my boat logo on it to make it even whiter from the rear, too.

Same logo that's in the boat flooring...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the rear springs in today. It came down 4". I stuck with just a 1" drop shackle. First, I had to pull my AirLift bags. Then, I had to get solid bushings pressed into the front leaf eyes for the Caltrac bars. But, I don't see any critical issues. My Bilstein 5100 shocks have a full compression distance of 16.42" and I get 18". I plan to either use shock extenders or different shocks to get more margin. But, for now, they should be fine riding around unloaded. The only other issue is the bump stop cup is only 2-1/2" from the pad. Not sure what I want to do with that, yet. But, I bounced up and down on the bumper and they don't hit. Again, should be fine for now running around unloaded. Feel free to offer up suggestions for the bump stop.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts