Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Finally finished up the lowering project today. Measuring from the ground to the top of the fender opening, the truck started out at 41.5" in front and 41.75" in the rear. It ended up at 36.75" in front and 37.5" in the rear. I can go about 1/2" lower in the rear and 3/4" in the front if I ever want to do the ELF mod. For now, I think it sits pretty good. I was able to make some shock extenders for a 2014 Silverado 1500 work as well, so no issues with shock travel. All that's left is to remove the step bars, reinstall the traction bars, and get an alignment. Then, it's ready for a full repaint.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The truck finally goes to the body shop next week for an entire repaint. They will do the ELF mod for me so I can get it lower. I just installed some air over leaf bags which are run by the onboard Airlift remote compressor that was there before. These will allow for the removal of the overload springs and give me another 3/4" drop in the rear. Then, I'll adjust the front 1" lower. You'll notice that the bump stop is completely gone as well. That was fun!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought my truck exactly 9 years ago today. It has 109K miles. I love it and decided I want to keep it another 9 years. But, it's showing it's age and updates are in order. The look will change from offroad to more street.

Phase 1 changes are done. I installed new Morimoto XB LED headlights. They came with a set of matching LED fogs. But, I didn't have fog lights. That led to a full conversion of the front bumper. The black headlights also led to a new black grille, grille logo, and paintable hood trim. Lastly, the stainless bed rails and bed rail caps were removed to allow for the installation of a used Undercover hard tonneau I picked up. This will get painted white during Phase

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought my truck exactly 9 years ago today. It has 109K miles. I love it and decided I want to keep it another 9 years. But, it's showing it's age and updates are in order. The look will change from offroad to more street.

Phase 1 changes are done. I installed new Morimoto XB LED headlights. They came with a set of matching LED fogs. But, I didn't have fog lights. That led to a full conversion of the front bumper. The black headlights also led to a new black grille, grille logo, and paintable hood trim. Lastly, the stainless bed rails and bed rail caps were removed to allow for the installation of a used Undercover hard tonneau I picked up. This will get painted white during Phase 2.
Looks great. I have the same grille and same looking emblem.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Got the truck back from paint today. My guy did an amazing job. Everything but the hood was repainted. I ordered a custom ram air hood, but it will be a few weeks before it shows up, so that will come later.

Now that I have more room in the front fender wells, I plan to drop the truck another about 3/4" both front and back.

It's come a long way from its initial look...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Finished lowering the truck. Pulled the overload leafs which were 1" thick and dropped the front another 1/4". All 4 corners sit at 36.5". I thought I'd want more rake, but I really like it completely level. If I want more rake later, I can add more air to the bags. All that's left now is the new hood.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Wow looks soo much better. The front grill, getting rid of the fender flares and bars on top of the bed... looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Really dig the truck! Nice work. It seems to just scream, "Roll pan!" to me lol.

I bet that boat hauls with 600hp out back

·
Registered
582 Posts
I like everything you've done except the wheels, I don't think they compliment the rest of your updates.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I like everything you've done except the wheels, I don't think they compliment the rest of your updates.
You're entitled to your opinion, but I basically built the look of the truck around these wheels. That's how much I like them. I used to have an identical set for the winter with Ridge Grapplers on them.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Really dig the truck! Nice work. It seems to just scream, "Roll pan!" to me lol.

I bet that boat hauls with 600hp out back
Thanks! I did really give a roll pan some consideration, but don't think they look right on this generation unless they are body worked into the bed. I also only like them when the hitch is hidden. The thought of laying on the ground just to pin the hitch with my back troubles was not appealing. Then, I really wanted to keep enough chrome going on all sides. Finally, leaving the bumper intact actually makes it look lower from the rear.

Best speed with the boat to date. :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I decided to upgrade the mirror lights to switchback LED light strips from Boost Auto Parts. Since I had to run wires through the doors for that, I finally hooked up the backup lights on the mirror as well. Then, I scored a set of smoked white LED lights for the grille on Ebay and got rid of the amber lights.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts