Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
2012 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax LML
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize ahead of time for having only a fair to partly cloudy knowledge of this Duramax. We did egr delete. Ok at first. Been getting low coolant warning. Heater in cab isn't working (Brrrr!) and there's a bunch of coolant in front of the truck-passenger side. We put a vacuum on it-no leaks. Don't want to damage it more by driving it. More than likely you'll need more info but that's the gist of it. 馃槶 I want to drive it again!

Registered
Double check your work. Sounds like you did something wrong during egr delete.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We've back tracked and can't seem to find anything. We're going to double check it again though. Does anybody know if there's a check valve in any coolant hoses?

Registered
did you loop the old lines that fed the EGR with coolant? that and you have to be careful with the plastic part you put that hose on in the firewall it can crack, check that.

Registered
Kinked coolant line or did you plug them off perhaps? You can bypass the EGR cooler, or leave in place (recommended the bypass). Coolant needs to flow.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
did you loop the old lines that fed the EGR with coolant? that and you have to be careful with the plastic part you put that hose on in the firewall it can crack, check that.
[/QUOT
Can you tell me more about looping the old lines
Can you tell me more about looping old lines?

Registered
well you don't loop the old lines you put a new one on it. a longer hose works to loop around and not kink, or a premolded u shape works too, that's what i did. well you did the delete, what did you do with the coolant hose that went to the EGR? from the firewall. those two spots on firewall should be looped together right behind where the EGR was. there only about 4 inches apart the two male plastic things on firewall.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You may be on to something, sir. I have to go look.....it makes sense.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got heat in the cab but still have a pool of antifreeze on front passenger side. :LOL:

Registered
maybe heater core gone? i don't know if having a pool of antifreeze on passenger floor is a sign of that? anyone

Registered
Pressurize the system and see where it is leaking. If it is pooling up, it shouldn't be hard to find.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We pressurized it. Can't find a leak. We thought for sure there had to be one somewhere. I think the antifreeze on passenger side might be coming from the overflow. 馃 I'm sick of screwing the coolant in, then out, then in, then out...etc. But what do you do?

Registered
If you lay on the floor on your back, sure enough, you will find the leak. It's going to be in your face and you're going to bang your head trying to get out from under it. And then you're going to be made. So be careful.

Registered
I hope the delete is worth the time and effort.
If it is blowing out of the overflow, you might have a head gasket leaking.
Have you done head gaskets yet?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Delete is a double edged sword right now. Before delete truck would end up in limp mode...pretty much unusable even to drive to town. Taking it to a shop was costing $1500 or more each time. Right after the delete it worked well. Tons more power. We didn't think the head gaskets were it bc there's no moisture in the oil. Is there another way to diagnose that?

Registered
Watch for bubbles at idle coming from the coolant tank with the cap off. Constant bubbles would be compression leaking past head gaskets pushing coolant out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No oil in coolant, no coolant in oil, passed compression test with scanner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts