Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to start out by saying I am a fan of Factory Electronics and head units. Have had miserable times with old trucks programming steering wheel controls to work with aftermarket head units.

Have taken on the adventure of upgrading my 2011 Denali HD with factory Bose Navigation to the 2012+ Hard drive navigation. Ordered the unit with the wiring conversion needed to go from old style to new. Also ordered the GM-2 lock pick while I was at it.

Installation was pretty straight forward going from existing screen to new screen. (All my back up camera, VSS and Denali (Y91) specific amp wires already in correct pin locations) If I did not have factory navigation, the instructions included laid out perfectly what wires needed to be ran where.

Anyone looking to do this upgrade be sure to order with a wiring harness conversion kit.

Here's where I need a little bit of help hopefully from someone that has undertaken this project. Before plugging all the connectors in I test fit the unit to see if any trimming had to be made. Wasn't until all plugs in did I realize that they interfere with the radio being installed. Before I take a disc to the inside of my dash, does anyone know exactly know how much needs to be removed? Is is easier to remove the dash when doing this so I can actually look at it from behind while I do the cutting.

Even if I don't get any replies to this in the next week or so (Also in the middle of finishing compound set up) I will include some pictures of what I end up doing. I will say that the hard drive navigation unit works about 2-3x as fast as the 07-11 head unit. Extremely responsive and no lag.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I would love to see if someone else has done this. My mom just recently got a 2013 Tahoe LTZ with the updated factory nav and I LOVE it compared to the outdated 2011 navs. Plus I hate how the screen doesn't have a night mode unless you are actually in the Nav screen. OP did you ever get this installed?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.