Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Most Known Unknown
29,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,

i wanted to do a small write up on my experience before and after with this kit by Cognito in case anyone with a new LML was wondering. to start out "Norcal-Nick" was right, if you can put the UCA's on this isnt much harder. to start out i have the following

- 34" (295/60/20) Nitto Trail Grapplers
- Leveled with Cognito UCA, ball joint style
- cranked aftermarket torsion keys (center wheel fender height= 43")
- rancho RS5000 steering stabilizer (before brace install)

and i always thought the steering was crap so i took the advice from the DMAXSTORE.com and ordered this kit.

product-medium_image-283.jpg

i dont know crap about steering but my cousin read the directions and told me what to do so i had to go to tractor supply to buy a big enough crescent wrench for that damn steering box nut but everything else was easy. the directions say it makes it more "Flexible" to remove the passenger side tie rod, but after fighting to hard (didnt have wheel key) i decided to try it without removing tie rod. It is easy once you pry out that piece the idler is connected too out of the C-channel and you can remove the nut WAY easier. Ummm for sure i think whoever tightened up the three steering box bolts in the wheel well must have put their entire body weight into them because i had to kick them loose! i dont remember if the directions said too or not but i didnt put the factory nut that connects the idler arm to the center link because there isnt many threads for the new heim join sleeve to screw on too....but another thing with that be aware (or maybe it was just my truck) that the angle trying to get that heim bolt on the centerlink stud is a PITA (on the idler side)!! take your time and you could get it

pitman side was easy and they send you two in case you have the new design or traditional?! i put them up there on the and it looked like the traditional brace was the one to choose and i have a 2012 i wonder why they would offer that? anyways it took me about 4 hours to tear it down and build back up including skid plates. the steering stabilizer had to be removed (which they said in the instructions) and the plan for that will be using the factory mount but putting another one below it so it drops the shock down a little and doesnt get hit by the pitman brace!

i will figure that out and post on here once done in case anyone wants to put one back on after installing the brace kit, because since i paid for it im going to use it!

over all i am very very very very very very happy with this kit, it i would say got rid of all steering play i was encountering with these larger than stock tires. i highly recommend anyone with a leveled truck to get this kit because it is well worth the money! i will feel alot happier once i get the stabilizer back on.....which i will get that damn thing on even if i have to fab a new bracket!

hopefully this helps anyone when deciding on if they should buy this kit or not! im a picky mother F'er and coming from a half ton i had alot of expectations, which were all met except not in the steering (once i got larger tires) so once this kit was installed i knew then and there it was well worth the money!

im sure someone will ask for some pics, so once it quits raining i will get some of both sides!

later everyone :drink

·
Registered
454 Posts
Was the rancho steering stabilizer worth while?

·
Most Known Unknown
29,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ya for a week, but im so picky i noticed everything! i see you on the other thread so once you get your UCA's and Cognito Brace kit installed, you can drop the stabilizer mount (on the pitman side) down below the factory mount with a threaded bolt just so it stays out of the pitmans way once its swinging, but still stays above the skid plate

but this is all theory i havent done my yet, because i dont feel i need it, though since i have the stabilizer im going to go ahead and try that idea!! once i do i will take pictures!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Well I had cognito keys installed first. Truck drove like hell. I finally got Cognito UCA's and idler arm and pitmen arm supports installed and the rancho steering stabalizer installed. What a differnece that made. Truck drives so awesome now! Thanks for the advice!

·
Most Known Unknown
29,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:drink big difference huh!!

whats your fender height on your truck? im curious from other people with leveling kits how their steering was affected, maybe im just paranoid but i feel like mine might be lifted too much unless what i feel in the steering is normal for a 7500 pound truck with a leveling kit and mud tires!

·
Registered
454 Posts
43" and thats with a 33" tire.
I recomend this to everyone! Drives better than it did in stock form!

Glad I did it befor everything was broke and wore out like I did on my last truck!

All I can say is listen to NORCALNICK. Those guys know there shit!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I did these with cog ucas, foxes but haven't been able to drive it yet. If m reading your post right, with this kit a stabilizer won't work with the kit?

·
Most Known Unknown
29,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pitman 2.jpg

you have to drop the mounting position of the stabilizer down

i think i used a 5"x 1/2" full thread bolt and some washers and nuts

and you can see where i tightened it all up!

works great! because if you put it in its factory position the pitman support will crush it when you turn!

:drink :thumb Heyyaa :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
^^^nice thats a great idea

·
Registered
546 Posts
33" wow seems like a lot of work ...stock is 32.5"
jwcgmc where are the lock washers on that shock bolt?

·
Most Known Unknown
29,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wait. I think I put "one" lock washer. I think on the very top

Could be wrong but I tightened the crap out of everything with a little bit of loctite where the nuts were, if that counts

·
Registered
371 Posts
jwcgmc1985 ?? do you have any pics of the other end of where steering stabilizer mounts ? i think when they put my cognitto steering braces on they bent my factory mounts up a bit , here is a pic let me know if they look bent to anyone else

Attachments

·
Most Known Unknown
29,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmmm idk, id have to go home and take a picture of it at the same angle you have, but the stabilizer might be in the way, but i will try!! get back to you

on another note just put the shock on and jack up the front end or even do it on pavement (not recommended(dry steering)) and see if it hits, if it does complain to them or if it were me, id put like an anchor bolt and slide it in there with a few nuts in between the mounting tabs and tighten it all up to where if you pull down on it, alot of force of course or mount something to the anchor where you could extended it way lower than the truck to beat it down maybe that would work?! if you could do something that "Easily" then the tabs would move together in a downward motion

idk, but id start with putting the stabilizer on first, when i put my braces on Myself i didnt run into any issues, except for trying to get the nut attached behind the brace on the idler side, but with enough determination i got it!

i will get back with you on that picture!

·
Registered
371 Posts
also do you have a part #for the steering stabilizer & did it come with the bolt to attach it to the steering arm ?

·
Most Known Unknown
29,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have a rancho RS5000, and a GM supplied Monroe# 25888044 or X07813A

the Rancho just came with a shock and a nut and the nut was for the stud on the idler side, i had to supply the 5"x 1/2" full thread bolt for the pitman side. the GM shock came with a already mounted stuf on the pitman side with a nut, and for the idler side it came with a nut. the GM/monroe version gives you what you need, as long as they are the same from every warehouse they come out of!

hope this helps how you like that 4" cognito over stock?!?!

·
Most Known Unknown
29,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jwcgmc1985 ?? do you have any pics of the other end of where steering stabilizer mounts ? i think when they put my cognitto steering braces on they bent my factory mounts up a bit , here is a pic let me know if they look bent to anyone else

dude i think your good, your stabilizer should work

your pitman arm shouldnt be getting any closer, since its only swinging side to side but it doesnt matter too much if they are bent or not because you still have to drop the stabilizer mounting position below the bottom mount, like i did!

if you do like i did then you make your adjustments with the tightening of the nuts, like my picture

pitman 2.jpg

·
Registered
393 Posts
Jwc-- can you take a picture of the other side of the stabilizer? Meaning the other connection point. Since you basically moved the pictured mounting point, did you have to do anything special with the opposite side?

·
Most Known Unknown
29,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No need to hand

The other end of that shock isn't in a bind or affected, goes on just the same and feels the same as it did before I had the braces put on!

But if you reeeeaaaallllllyyyyyy want a picture then I'll get one tomorrow!

1 - 20 of 200 Posts