Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

well i decided to install my cognito UCA kit a few days ago, and i wanted to talk about my experience in case anyone was interested in reading something new this monday?!

anyway the story starts off with me buying the truck new on 12-29-11 and having an aftermarket torsion key set put in along with tires the very next day. Im a picky person and when you spend 50k+ on a truck with all the options you would expect it to ride good (remember im coming from a half ton) well it rode like shit, so i put a steering stabilizer on it, which helped a little but still rode like shit. Well thanks to CognitoMotorsports.com i bought their UCA kit for about 20$ less than the DMAXSTORE (though ive bought stuff from them already)(NOT HATING) but 20 bucks is 20 bucks. i went ahead and got the shock extenders as well but was not impressed that the hardware kit did not come with it, only spacers. reason why i got them was i believe the shop that did the key install didnt put spacers and that might have contributed to the crappy out of spec ride, not to mention it seemed like i could feel the ball joints going nuts! well i started on my install this past friday night and it took me about 2.5 hours by myself with common hand tools. wheels came off, alignment/UCA bolts were loosened and it didnt take much to get the ball joint off the spindle once my trusty hammer came out! the only problem which took alot of my spray was getting the bushings to slide back into factory location. it basically took me kicking them in! but that wasnt the hardest part, the hardest part was getting the damn bolts back in on the passenger side!!!! well anyways to make a long story........ya very long once i scroll up is that in my mind i figured putting the control arms on and lowering the aftermarket keys down would keep my center wheel from ground to fender right at 43" where it was before but i guess i misunderstood that, because i ended up cranking the aftermarket keys back up!

installed on Friday and put the alignment settings back where they were (marked the frame before i broke them down) and got it aligned on Sunday.

and my response was you might ask?

BUY THE UCA KIT FROM COGNITO IF YOU WANT YOUR FACTORY RIDE BACK!

i cant believe how much better it got once i put this on, and i highly recommend anyone thinking about it to spend the money!. Trust me it will be the best addition to a leveled truck!! i was thinking in the back of my mind that what happens if i buy this kit and it doesn't work, and i'm going to have to do a full 6"+ lift just to get it to ride better? i love my truck and i love it even more now that its in spec and it drive so much nicer! my only problem now is i still have the factory shocks without spacers, and not that it rides bad right now but once i find some website or even if the DMAXSTORE can offer them i would rather wait and get longer shocks instead of going to lowes and buying hardware just for two spacers

anyways, sorry for the long post but im sure someone out there was thinking "Should i do it?" and the answer is yes you should:thumb

does anyone know any place online selling the bilstein 5100s for the new 2012 models? 4wheel parts and DMAXSTORE dont show them on their websites yet. and my cousin at Oreillys cant get them, but can get the rancho 9000s for $400 + tax

anyways later everyone Heyyaa

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
actually I'm glad u posted this cuz I just got mine uca kit in this past Friday n ove never messed with this kinda stuff n like u I like to do it myself n save a few bucks. interested to see how it goes but I'm just waitin for the adjuster bolts to come come in cuz when I went to crank the torsion keys I broke te head off the bolt so I got my truck bout 80% up ha so until I get those bolts in I'm waitin to put the uca jut in

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
113 Posts
did you jack the front before turning in those bolts ? without relieving the pressure on the torsion bars you will snap them bolts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Check norcaltruck.com for your shocks. Their website is being redone so you may have to call, but I know he has and can get bilsteen 5100 and fox shocks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
did you jack the front before turning in those bolts ? without relieving the pressure on the torsion bars you will snap them bolts
I jacked each side up when I did but It must have put the jack in a spot that I didnt take all the pressure off the bars

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They should be out pretty soon from what weve been told. :thumb
i'll be waiting! it rides just fine for now, guess i can wait.......not like i have a choice?!?!:drink

·
Registered
936 Posts

Is there a cotter pin in through the balljoint shaft for the castle nut? Kinda hard to tell from the pic. And FYI, we do offer a forum member discount on Cognito products if you decide to add more to the the leveling kit..IE; Braces etc...Its a great product that has many positive testimonials like yours.

Brian

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is there a cotter pin in through the balljoint shaft for the castle nut? Kinda hard to tell from the pic. And FYI, we do offer a forum member discount on Cognito products if you decide to add more to the the leveling kit..IE; Braces etc...Its a great product that has many positive testimonials like yours.

Brian
yes sir! its there on both sides, i started in the daylight and ended in the dark, which sucked but its all there and i have the brace kit just havent put it on yet, is that going to be a pain? and im wondering how much better it will be, since i mainly do on road and went off road by mistake backing into the neighbors yard :rof

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Theres always the Fox Performance series......:drink
are these series much better than the bilsteins? i cant find anywhere that sells shocks for these 12s, damn GM for changing it all up again. any info you have is greatly appreciated!

·
Most Known Unknown
29,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you put on the UCA's the braces should be no problem....
if i screw up your buying the first round:drink
:rof
i will give it a whirl and see what happens!, guess it would work if i read the instructions to get a better understanding! let me know when you guys offer the shocks so i can start some transactions!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Ill talk to Nick about the Fox's and see what he says. Ive been working on all the web site stuff the last month and havnt paid much attention to the new shock info.....

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hey Nor cal truck you have a PM

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would let the shocks bottom out while I waited for the Bilsteins...

Hope the Bilsteins for leveled trucks are longer then the stock ones, they screwed the '01-'07 trucks up and made them shorter then stock, doesn't really help a truck that needs longer shocks...

1 - 20 of 107 Posts