Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Fairly new to posting. I have a 2012 Chevy LML and have now decided to move from California to Texas. Now I can upgrade my truck the right way. I have done little to no performance upgrades. My question is multi-faceted.

1.) Is a air intake worth the money? If so I have a hookup at RBP and are they worth using? Or is a AFE or SB better?

2.) The exhaust system. What option do I have in Texas? Can I do a DPF delete? What system is good. Again I have a RBP connection, but not married to the brand.

3.) EFI Live? Do I delete the EGR and will this module work with a different tuner or is the EFI Tuner really good?

I am sure I have a million more questions but this is a good start. Any feedback will be extremely appreciated. I am fully capable of working on my own machine and have built custom rods to racing engines growing up. Not affraid of getting dirty and wrenching on my rig. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
1 most people use s&b cai, it's one of the best bang for the buck, at least on the lb7-lmm

2 can't help you there

3 efi live is custom tuning, you can do certain deletes or delete everything. I know some of the tuners are tuning lml's without deleting and having good success.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Depends on where in Texas you live and how strict the inspector wants to be on removing everything. I did a stealth delete, gutted stock exhaust, EGR blockoff plates instead of total delete and tuning.

·
Vendor
1,766 Posts
What city of texas you in? And if you get an intake don't get an oiled filter dry filters only

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Moving to Little Elm. That's north Dallas next to Frisco.
Thanks for all the advise. Would you suggest a lift pump?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After a lot of research and time spent on this forum, I have decided to go with a duramaxtuner.com tuner, Edge CTS display with EGT sensor, S & B cai, and a FASS lift pump. They seem to know what they are doing. These mods are suppose to give 520 HP.
Anyone out there do this Power Package?

·
Registered
319 Posts
My buddy owns a shop down in Waco, might wanna hit him up, LJC Performance. If you're interested, shoot me a PM and I let ya know how to get ahold of him lol. He uses EFI Live and can custom tune for everything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks silvergmc but I like to wrench on my own rig and the package I want is sold direct from duramaxtuner.com.
Still waiting on the equipment but from the customer testimonials and good reviews I've read, I am really excited.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Silvermax, since you gutted the stock DPF for stealth reasons, did you have to do any tuning? Does the truck still go I to regen? How about the DEF? Is it still functional? How does it run and did you see mileage improvements? Thanks! Thinking about the same mods here in VA to pass state inspection.

·
Registered
319 Posts
We tuned it before I ever even got to put the exhaust on, I had a DEF heater fail and it was cutting the speed. I drove it 4000 miles delete tuned before I got the exhaust swapped out, power was better, but it seemed to still regen and the mileage didn't get better till I swapped out the exhaust and unhooked everything.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I broke the pins in the connectors so everything looks plugged in, but with no way for anything to touch, it looks completely stock, unless you tap on the cat or DPF.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update:
Duramaxtuner.com has some quality tunes. I installed the Edge CTS, Pyrometer, and Duramaxtuner.com Performance tune so far. The truck really pulls in 2-5 gear. Sets you back in your seat for sure. 1st gear I think is left conservative until one gets a built tranny. I love the package so far. I will be installing the Fass lift pump soon. The Edge CTS is a good tool to have I found and gives me peace of mind of what my truck is doing.
I am pushing 32 pounds in my turbo at max acceleration. Any need for head bolts or any upgrades at this level?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2012 LML and did the whole performance work-up....EFI live. EGR delete. DEF delete. Flo pro Turbo back exhaust. FASS Fuel pump. S&G cold air intake. Been pretty happy with performance...except for a few error codes I am still working on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Deadted did you find that the DPF delete and DEF delete was worth it. I am considering going to that extent but want to make sure its worth the time, trouble, and money.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have been pretty happy with the overall upgrade. I did the entire upgrade at once so, it was a little hard to determine how much the DEF and DPF delete difference was. I think it is just one more thing that restricts exhaust the flow and performance. The gas mileage so far has been 20-21 MPH. It has plenty of power for sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The mileage increase is amazing. I am getting about 14 mpg because of the DPF and the amount of regens I run through kills mpg. Good to know. I need to see what local laws are in Dallas on what I can delete. Thanks for all the info deadted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not sure there. In Iowa, we have no emissions and no inspections. Its nice. Sometimes I forget I am in an 8000 lb truck....feels like I am in a corvette!

Reactions: zzaacckk007
1 - 18 of 18 Posts