Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my truck in with a fuel tank temp sensor code. They are telling me it is in th def tank and the whole def tank needs replaced and is covered under warranty. They are also telling me that my exhaust particulate needs cleaned and it is not covered under the warranty and will cost a couple hours labor. Is it just me or do I smell BS? If so can I do it myself?

·
Registered
476 Posts
How many miles on the truck...DPF shouldn't need cleaned (taken off and ran through a cleaner) for at least 100k at a minimum. My guess is they are wanting to force a regeneration on the truck to clean it for you. Which it does that if you just drive it. Just try to not shut it down in the middle of a regen.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has 37000 miles on it. They tell me they just run it through a series of rpm changes to clean it. Just seems abnormal. This whole tier 3 and 4 crap seems like a hassle and cost a bunch more money. Glad I still have my LBZ too.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yep, they're going to for a regen on it. They do it a lot on semi's with the tier 4 bs. Basically hook it up to the computer, park it outside and bumps the revs up on it until it reaches proper temp to get a full regeneration out of it.

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
Its not tier 3 or 4 that is for offroad engines.

Semis are EPA04, EPA07,EPA10.

LML Duramaxes are Tier 2 Bin 5 in light duty vehicles.

YOu should get a warning when the DPF is plugged. I would say they are fishing for some change.

·
Registered
938 Posts
A regn can be initiated with the Tech II, but you shouldn't need it unless you have received a Clean DPF message on your DIC. If you have OnStar you can call them and get trouble codes (if any), that should help. I wouldn't pay any labor for something that just requires a couple of keystrokes on the Tech II and 30 minutes of your burnt fuel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts