Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My coolant level light comes on about 2 or 3 weeks after topping off the coolant I've been told it's a blown head gasket but from reading you should be able to squeeze the hos e before start up in the morning while the truck is cold which I can do but how long should it take to build pressure with and without a blown gasket I've bought a coolant leak tester but I'm reading that isnt absolutely correct at reading so will a compression test be more accurate other than losing coolant slowly there is really no sign of a blown gasket

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
2-3 weeks before a low warning comes on.....not a HG.
If it were a HG, it'd be pushing coolant out of the surge tank overflow tube, not leaking coolant externally.
(wrap a rag around the tube end, see if it becomes wet after driving)

You have a leak elsewhere. Pressure test would be the tool for seeking one....but it may be so small that even that test could be negative.
Or, it could also be thru the EGR system, which a pressure test won't reveal either.

Going in thru the fender liner for something else, I found some dried residue below the GPs....slowly dripping from the upper rad hose clamp on the coolant return line. Not enough to be evident otherwise, just having to add coolant every 2-3 months.

Premium Member
2-3 weeks before a low warning comes on.....not a HG.
If it were a HG, it'd be pushing coolant out of the surge tank overflow tube, not leaking coolant externally.
(wrap a rag around the tube end, see if it becomes wet after driving)

You have a leak elsewhere. Pressure test would be the tool for seeking one....but it may be so small that even that test could be negative.
Or, it could also be thru the EGR system, which a pressure test won't reveal either.

Going in thru the fender liner for something else, I found some dried residue below the GPs....slowly dripping from the upper rad hose clamp on the coolant return line. Not enough to be evident otherwise, just having to add coolant every 2-3 months.
On 12 it was a combination of leaking coolant tank and cap. As after replacing cap leak in steam of tank became apparent. After replacing both I am 3 weeks without adding coolant. Before it was 2 weeks.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Egr has been deleted so I've been leaning toward the coolant tank which I've noticed a time or two where the driveway would have a wet spot on the passenger side just about below the coolant tank but it doesnt happen everytime I drive it just randomly has the wet spot below

1 - 4 of 4 Posts