Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
These are so cool, one day It might work out for me but you will probably be retiered by then!

One question I have deals with the emissions. As I understand the law, we can only exchange engins that are the same age or newer into any vehicle right? So if I get a 2004 suburban (which has no polution controls,egr, dpf, scr) can I put a deleted LMM or LML into it and be completely leagal?

·
Registered
246 Posts
My aunt and uncle who live in monument CO, had an 05 Denali XL 2500 quadrasteer that a local shop done a duramax swap into. They done Efi, exhaust and intake but had to leave the tuning very conservative because the quadrasteer rear could not handle the power. They eventually put in a stock 2500hd rear end in it. They have recently divorced but I could get some pictures of it If any would like to see it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Received a Hummer
9,628 Posts
My aunt and uncle who live in monument CO, had an 05 Denali XL 2500 quadrasteer that a local shop done a duramax swap into. They done Efi, exhaust and intake but had to leave the tuning very conservative because the quadrasteer rear could not handle the power. They eventually put in a stock 2500hd rear end in it. They have recently divorced but I could get some pictures of it If any would like to see it.

Yeah, I heard that quadrasteer cannot handle a lot of power, but I would gladly give up the power for that capability.. it would make maneuvering my boat 100X easier.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The new laws for engine swaps changed in Feb 2013, now if the vehicle is to be inspected (only about 25% of the US does this) the drive train must be equal or newer then the body and retain emission compliance (1st change) of the standards for the date of the engine build date (not the body) and DMV (2nd change) no longer has a category for Heavy Duty engines in a Light Duty body (IE: Dmax Tahoe).

So first a LMM has a different communication protocol and won't work in a 04, if it needs to pass inspection you can't reverse convert it to a LBZ because the DPF belonged to that engine. Just use a LBZ and its fine

Of course if you don't go in for inspections this all a mute point

Eric

·
Premium Member
400 Posts

yeah I want to see it!

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
DuraBurb,

I'd like to get a number for y'all and a website if you have one. We have three small children and my wife drives a Ford Edge and wants something with 3 row seating. I showed her these burbs and see said "if you'll baby it like you do your truck by all means get me a loud SUV."

I will be replacing her little crossover in early 14' and I'd love to discuss building me one of these rides, providing I can get one without all the emissions and it looks like I can!

Please pm me

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am interested in a 2013 (possibly 2014) Duramax powered Suburban to be used for heavy towing (at least 16000 lbs) but do it very safely. If I provide the Suburban, can you provide the Duramax engine and transmission new or does it have to come from a used truck. Do you upsize axles, brakes etc to get the max towing?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
typically with the 2500 4x4 we see 15/16 20/21
And on the 1500 its 16/17 24/25

SUVs currently in production are the 03-06 LBZ 07-10 LMM 11-14 LML (GEN1) and we are currently finalizing the 2015 LML (GENII) whch should be ready by the end of the year when testing is done

Contrary to popular beliefs you can't go buy a drop in Dmax, it must be extracted from a Truck. That said the only "new" drive trains are current production, if you're trying to do the math on that it equates to 96 to 112,000 for a all new Duramax SUV, To much for most of us but there are 3 in the works (1 Denali XL and 2 Suburbans) and there are a lot of people who drive 100K+ vehicles.

I'm just not one :-(

·
Registered
504 Posts
that is amazing ... what are the rest of us doing wrong? I wanted a duraburb but had to "settle" for a 2011 burb with the 5.3 and a whipple supercharger and every other night have to send my kids to bed hungary to make the payments!

21 - 40 of 54 Posts