Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dad just got a 2013 chevy z71 and we are putting an s&b intake to get 1 or 2 more mpg out of it for the long trips pullin the race car trailer. will the scoop add more to that or what will it do? and post your mpg gains with your intake and what brand thanks:)

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I have a Banks with a superscoop on mine and i picked up about 2.5. Dont know if there is a difference with the scoop, but i like the looks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a Banks with a superscoop on mine and i picked up about 2.5. Dont know if there is a difference with the scoop, but i like the looks.
Duramaxed, is that with all your mods done at the same time or is the 2.5 MPG increase just with the CAI? I'm curious since I am interested in the Banks CAI as well. But I am stock so far and not sure if there will be gains over the stock air cleaner.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I calculated it with the mods, then added the CAI. I picked up about 2-2.5 with the intake, but will vary slightly from truck to truck. Get a little bit more turbo noise and little better throttle response.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Not sure what that is, but if it has any sort of power/torque increase it will.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Just a question here, why not put an H&S on it go that route?? Just asking. Also, where in Kansas are you? Perhaps on K-42 somewhere??

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dont want to delete just looking for an mpg increase the 2011 and 2012 both had major issues with them. the 2012 blew a head gasket at 17,000. so want to keep the warranty. i live in hutchinson

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
i picked up a solid 2mpg when everything was still stock with the intake.. after tuner added and all the parts.. i get about 6-8 better

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't have solid before and after intake numbers, but I can tell you what I got on this last trip between Austin and DFW. Truck is a '13 3500 DRW. I had been getting 13.5-ish MPG, but that was mostly city and congested highway driving. I installed the S&B with scoop before our trip, and was hoping for 15~16ish MPG on our trip.

With a 20 or so city miles on the tank @ 10.5 MPG, we hit the road. DIC average going was 16.4 MPG driving 75~80 MPH. Mileage dropped to 15.5 MPG when driving around town, and when coming back, I reset the DIC before hitting the highway. Mileage coming back was 17.5 MPG, but drove slower, around 70-ish. Truck had just under 1,000 miles on it when we started the trip.

All of these were unloaded & not towing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Did you bother looking at the link I posted? The scoop is at the bottom of the page.

Or you can go to S&B's web site and see both of them there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Drove the 3500 to work today. The trip is 40 miles, one way, probably 90% highway, but about a third of that is very slow or bumper-to-bumper traffic. DIC indicated 16.8 MPG. I reset it right after leaving the house.

I don't have solid before and after intake numbers, but I can tell you what I got on this last trip between Austin and DFW. Truck is a '13 3500 DRW. I had been getting 13.5-ish MPG, but that was mostly city and congested highway driving. I installed the S&B with scoop before our trip, and was hoping for 15~16ish MPG on our trip.

With a 20 or so city miles on the tank @ 10.5 MPG, we hit the road. DIC average going was 16.4 MPG driving 75~80 MPH. Mileage dropped to 15.5 MPG when driving around town, and when coming back, I reset the DIC before hitting the highway. Mileage coming back was 17.5 MPG, but drove slower, around 70-ish. Truck had just under 1,000 miles on it when we started the trip.

All of these were unloaded & not towing.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
71dsp yes I did bother to look at the link. My question is what does it do? Is there actual gain from installing it?

·
Most Known Unknown
29,761 Posts
get a filter wrap if you get a scoop..

idk how long these S&B filters should last but this is what mine looked like after 5 months with a scoop.....well it was installed a few days before Christmas!

i dont remember how many miles i put on it, but i dont go offroad or look for mud holes

if i have to spend $90 a year on 2 filters, i'll do it just so i know everything is good! But i will be seeing how long it takes this 2nd filter with the wrap to get dirty

View attachment 80154

View attachment 80162

·
Registered
492 Posts
Is the scoop just for the lmls

1 - 20 of 22 Posts