Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would post the behavior and findings for my DMax 3500HD.

Noticed an antifreeze smell around the front of the truck after running for a bit. When it got cold out this winter, started getting Low Coolant warnings. Topped up the coolant. Smell continued. Then started getting warnings again.
All this time, not a drop of coolant on the ground. The smell was always around the front of the truck.

Dropped it off at the GM dealer. Pressure test revealed a leak in the radiator.

I bought this truck used and, while I don't typically bother with extended warranties, I purchased on on this truck because it was a used diesel. So I pay the diagnostic fee and fluid ($125 + $30), and the extended warranty pays the rest.

Thought this might be something of interest to others since I've seen many postings from folks on forums re: coolant issues.

Cheers!

Registered
The lmls had an issue with the rubber around the fan shroud falling down over time and eventually rubbing a hole in the rad. Ive caught a few doing that ive worked on and my person truck did it.

Registered
I had a yahoo with his lifted truck and no mud flaps through a rock through my trucks' radiator. I had to stop at each exit to add water to the radiator as it was flowing so quickly out through the hole. The last gas station I stopped at had radiator stop leak, the kind that is a powder in a small cylinder and sells for $5. I put that in the radiator and it stopped the leak completely. Drove that truck for another 110,000 miles with no problems with the radiator. Now I keep a tube of stop leak in every car and truck I own.

Registered
How did it turn out for the truck?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts