Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 14 2500HD has developed a couple of odd electrical issues, not sure if they are related.
On the first start of the day, when the key is turned, I get one crank and then it stops . like the starter loses power. I turn the key again and it will start, though it doesnt crank as fast as normal, like the starter is being starved of juice.

2nd issue - the 4x4 selector switch sometimes does not respond. I can change its position but the light stays on the 2wd position. shutting off and restarting the truck does not have an effect. other times it shifts into 4x4 as normal. I would say I have a 50% failure rate on the switch. very annoying.

i figured the batteries were shot and causing low voltage issues. Les Schwab tested the batteries and said they checked out 100% so now I am at a loss. all of the connections are clean, not other issues that I've noticed. I thought abou lt replacing the batteries anyway (original batteries, 6 years old) but I dont like throwing parts at an unknown problem.

any suggestions on next steps?

· Registered
7,506 Posts
Not many batteries are 100% at 6 years,. but it's possible. What is the standing battery voltage, then check the battery voltage while cranking the starter. Do you live in salt country? Have lots of corrosion on your truck? I don't know if your 4WD problem is related to the starting problem, but not likely.

I thought about replacing the batteries anyway (original batteries, 6 years old) but I dont like throwing parts at an unknown problem.
I'm with you on that one. You can spend LOTS of $$ when you don't make SURE you know the problem before replacing parts. Determining what the problem is constitutes 80% of the job. Making the resulting fix is much easier.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.