Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am on a road trip that started in south Georgia and I am on my way to Shiocton Wisconsin. I am towing an 18 ft flatbed trailer with a light load. 3000lbs including trailer. There are no mods on the truck. I am half way through my last tank of fuel.

I stopped at rest area and when I started the truck everything appeared fine. I saw the check engine lamp come on. I pulled off the highway to check fluids. Not finding anything, I drove on to a safer place to take a look and get my code reader that was packed away.

I came up with these codes:
P0420 three times.
P220b
U029d
U029e
P2610

I will attempt to clear the codes with my tool but I think a couple are permanent codes.

I'd like to know if I can continue to drive. Am I looking at a possible breakdown? Or is this just an emissions related issue?

Any information will be appreciated. Getting back on the road in 24 hours.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Fill out your signature with info on your truck. That will help us fill in the blanks.

It looks like you’re CAT is sooted up or bad and your NOX sensors are faulty. Im afraid you may have succumb to the good ole emissions failure. This will most likely limit you’re speed if you continue.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I reset the codes with the exception of the perm p0420 code. I will continue with the trip tomorrow. We will see how it goes. No power issues yet.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Has your truck gone thru the regen process on a regular basis?

This information is published for my 2008 LMM truck - yours may be different:

1. Inspect for the following conditions, which may cause a diesel oxidation converter (DOC) to degrade:
    • Off Road Fuel or Red Dye Fuel
    • Low quality B-20 fuel
    • Fuel Containing high sulfur content
    • Engine oil or coolant consumption
    • Leaking fuel injectors
  1. Inspect the DOC for the following conditions:
    • Physical damage or alterations
    • Internal rattles caused by a damaged catalyst substrate
    • Exhaust leaks before or after the DOC.
    • If a condition is found, replace the DOC.
  1. If all exhaust system inspections are normal, replace the DOC.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It went through at least one regen since I left south GA. I only noticed because of the higher than normal idle at a traffic stop. After the codes I saw it go through a regen on my scan tool. It showed, on active 100%. When it was finished it said off passive 49% -52%

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The truck does normally run it's own regen. The codes say cat inefficiency. And related codes were not sensors. So is my problem a clogged cat or clogged dpf? Does a clogged dpf cause the cat inefficiency problem? Thank you for your reply.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finding someone competent is the problem. Especially since I am on the road. I can see many of the sensors related the cat and dog but I have no idea of what normal readings look like.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am actually pretty scared to drive my Chevy with the emissions issues that I have had and now having. I don't have much choice at this point, I have to finish my trip back to south . Is Gereral Motors doing anything to address these emissions problems or just correcting them on newer models? I can't even bring my truck to a dealer for the code. After reading the post here, I'm not so sure I will get the help I need . Just a large bill to take care of a flawed emission system. I will update when I get home and the dealer looks at it, or on the side of the interstate.

Thank you all!

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After clearing the codes the light went out but the p0420 remained. I drove 180 miles and when pulling off of the interstate, the check engine light came on with a service exhaust sys see owner manual. Then 99 miles until 65mph limit appeared . I read the codes and all were nox sensor loss of communication a and b and nox sensor voltage for a and b. The p0420 was gone. The truck is at the dealer here in Oshkosh. We will see what happens. The service writer stated that his last customer with these codes ended up with two nox sensors and the third visit fixed it with a dpf. I told him that I am 1200 miles from home and I can't afford 3 stops at the dealer. Gm protocol is one sensor at a time before the dpf is what he told me.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GM dealer, yes. I was told it needs the nox sensor 2. The problem is, if it fails, I will be on the highway for 1200 miles and stuck where if it fails. Has a box sensor ever fixed this kind of problem?

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Has your truck gone thru the regen process on a regular basis?

This information is published for my 2008 LMM truck - yours may be different:

1. Inspect for the following conditions, which may cause a diesel oxidation converter (DOC) to degrade:
    • Off Road Fuel or Red Dye Fuel
    • Low quality B-20 fuel
    • Fuel Containing high sulfur content
    • Engine oil or coolant consumption
    • Leaking fuel injectors

• Non-ULSD fuel was a concern back in 2008, but it is not illegal to manufacture or sell it in US or Canada.
    During the conversion of the N.A. fuel supply there was a period of time both were available, the as the conversion was 'phased', there was a period of time when non-taxed (and usually dyed to identify it) fuel was LSD while rod fuel was ULSD.

Today, all US/Can fuel is ULSD.
    Non-taxed fuel is still typically dyed so the 'revenuers' can identify it if/when they are doing roadside checks.

(Diesel that is not ULSD can still a concern for those that might be travelling in some areas of Mexico)

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No the truck is not registered in an inspection State. Diesels are still exempt. Nox sensor turned into box sensor by Google keyboard. Sorry about that.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is the plan for now. If they replace nox sensor 2 and do a forced regen, do you think 1200 miles will be possible on Wednesday? Assuming I get it back by Wednesday.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. I will take your advice. My scan tool did show a percentage on the dpf at 48 to 52. That is after a normal regen. It was at 100 before the regen when the fault first came up. At my job we have protocols as well, but it is my experience that techs take the easy path. Experience also tells you what the most likely fix will be that vary from the protocol standard. Maybe my tech will have some experience on a Duramax.

·
Registered
42 Posts
How many miles are on your truck? I've repaired numerous P0420 codes with a new 9th injector or indirect injector and a stationary regen after the replacement. I've replaced the indirect injector on 4 different LML trucks at around the 120,000 mile mark and it's repaired every one of them. Just did one on Tuesday. Not saying that's the issue on yours but it's possible. The injector gets clogged up and dribbles fuel into the exhaust stream instead of spraying and then it can't get hot enough to do a successful regen.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
99985 miles when the codes first came up. It has been 3000 miles since I've added any def and it still says ok. Maybe I should top it off to see if it is using any.

Most of the trucks life has been on the highway. But this summer I was hauling logs out of the woods. It idled a bit to keep the ac on while I loaded the trailer. Maybe that is how this issue started. I am just now reading that idling is not a good idea.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well they indeed replaced nbr 2 nox sensor and indeed failed after just under 100 miles. Good thing I was able to dump the trailer and gear off before taking it back to the same service center in Oshkosh.

Same codes: u029d u029e p0420 p220b these are pending and permanent codes.

Have to fly home for work so we will see how it goes in a couple of weeks.

Thanks GM, thanks EPA!

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My son asked me if my def spray could be plugged up, making the regens useless. He ran into this at the bus shop.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Two wires rubbing together near x107 may be the cause. This large connector came loose from its mount and caused damage to two wires , either b10 and c10 or b1 and c1. These are nox sensor power and ground wires for nox 1 and 2. No word from the dealer yet. I may just go there on Tuesday and pick it up ready or not. I did tell them about the two wires.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
My son asked me if my def spray could be plugged up, making the regens useless. He ran into this at the bus shop.
Not being able to inject DEF as nothing to do with regen success or lack of.

Plugged def injector could cause high NOx level problems, but the 9th injector would still be able to inject diesel for the regen's to occur and burn soot from the DPF.

The so called '9th injector' injects fuel into the exhaust for regen.
The 'DEF injector' injects DEF for NOx reduction -- whenever it is running.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts