Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
I am waiting to see how difficult they will be to install ... definitely not plug n' play. Power fold, power extend (latest update from what I see) and the backup light will probably be a chore to retrofit on a truck equipped with the standard power fold or the current trailer mirrors.

Surely, someone will do a mod write-up when they hit the parts departments.

·
Registered
461 Posts
They're not power extend, and considering it's only a midyear update....I'm gonna say it will most likely be plug n play. I bet you won't have to change anything if you currently have the power folding mirrors already.
Apparently, there is a lot of controversy about this and only time will tell.

As of today, GM Online Order / Reference Guide states ...

"NEW! Mirrors, outside heated power-adjustable vertical camper, memory equipped, upper glass, power-folding and manual extending, chrome."

As of yesterday, GM Online Order / Reference Guide stated ...

"DQS, NEW! Mirrors, outside heated power-adjustable vertical camper, memory equipped, upper glass, power-folding and extending, chrome."

This truck New in Jacksonville, NC at Moore Buick GMC is advertised a being optioned with ...

"DQS MIRRORS, OUTSIDE HEATED POWER-ADJUSTABLE VERTICAL CAMPER, MEMORY EQUIPPED, UPPER GLASS, POWER-FOLDING AND EXTENDING, CHROME."

Maybe someone on this forum who actually works at the plant can confirm this one way or the other unless a DQS truck has actually hit a dealership. Anyone?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Trust me. I'd love to have power folding and power extending, but I don't think we're in for that big of a surprise. I think it would say "power folding and power extending."

Fingers crossed, but I don't think it will happen.
... as would I.

I traded a '13 F250 PS on the '15 Silverado Duramax and loved the power-fold and power-extend of the Ford mirrors. I am surprised GM took so long to step up to the plate. What would even be nicer that would surpass Ford is if they had a DIC option that the mirrors automatically folded in/out with the lock/unlock of the key fob.

·
Registered
461 Posts
For my use, the power folding is much more important than the power extending. If the reverse lights work well, I would much rather have those than the power extend too. But it would have been nice if GM could have put it all together the first time.

I'm waiting for all the details to be final (new blue color, wheels, etc.) and my order goes in. Should be end of this month.
Obviously, I like the power-fold for parking. I typically park way out in parking lots, but the mirrors are so susceptible to idots walking into them. Many times when hooking up my TH, I am the idiot that forgets to extend the mirrors until I am on my way so the power-extend is important to me. Unlike you, I already have my truck so it will be an add-on for me.

You mentioned new wheels .... I saw that in the "fleet order guide". Have you seen pics? I imagine they will be the wheel standard on the High Country available to all models. Like the current tow mirrors, the GM 20" wheels are tired and in need of a re-design.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I just noticed a Silverado 2500 in the brochure is equipped with the new mirror ....

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Truck

·
Registered
461 Posts
I figure I can sell my existing ones & eat up some of the difference. But I really like the look & the utility of the new mirrors. So hopefully they are available soon. I am currently on stand by with my dealer.
I've been thinking the same, but realistically, when the new ones finally hit the parts departments, the re-sale market for the current camper mirrors will be flooded.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I didnt order it, I bought a Denali that was on the lot and told them to add towing mirrors. He said it would take a few days to get them, adn that they were "like a $1000 extra" and I think i heard him mumble about them being power folding. Im fine if they are arent, but be cool if they were
Seriously, if they are the current tow mirrors, definitely get your money back because the current tow mirrors (known as Power Outside Camper Mirrors) are a $55 option (MSRP).

·
Registered
461 Posts
Right, thats why I was asking them when I got the upgrade why they cost so much.....because I remember them being $55 on the website
It will be interesting to see if you get the DQS mirrors in a week. My understanding the mirrors run about $370 each shipped, but nobody knows when the parts will be available.

I am still waiting to see if the wiring harness will be compatible to the current camper mirror harness. Obviously, the switch will have to be changed to the current power fold mirror switch ... turn signals and heat should be no issue ... not sure how the backup light will be activated though.

·
Registered
461 Posts
They thought they would have them this week, but they werent sure. I may give my sales guy a call today and see if there is any update on them....
Keep us up to date. I would like to know when they hit the parts counters. By the way, it seems your dealer is charging you MSRP for the mirrors even after buying a new truck. He could at least let you have those for cost or cost+. For just over $700 they can be at your door, but if he is doing the install for $1,000, that is not so bad a deal for the swap.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Just got the call from the dealership.......non power folding mirrors. According to the woman I spoke with, you cannot order them after the fact yet. Only get them on new builds.
A salesperson/dealership will tell a customer anything to get a deal done ... !

I wouldn't be surprised if they will not be available as a part until well into the end of the year .... maybe even into the X-mas holidays.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yeah my dealer told me they are putting the new mirrors on trucks ordered. But wasn't able to order them for me to buy and put on my truck. Does anyone know when they will be offered as an aftermarket item?
Hey Heatseeker ... what are you doing with my truck in your avatar? ..... :rof

·
Registered
461 Posts
Of course......and her answer was "I dont know why he told you that" :rof

She was saying 5-6 months before they will have a "kit" to put them on (different wiring harness, etc.)
I guess like me, you will be waiting.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hey guys, I just wanted to jump in here since I have been following this thread. I installed my new tow mirrors on my 15 Denali and everything works great. Except the back up lights don't work and the amber lights on the outside only flash when I unlock my truck. Of course my local dealer is giving me a hard time about not getting the mirrors from them but it appears that the truck needs to be programmed to operate these new options correctly.

Let me know what you think or if you experience anything different from what I am experiencing.
Did your Denali have the power fold to begin with ... ???

·
Registered
461 Posts
I was told that they can program it but my local dealer is giving me a hard time about it. My Denali did not come with power fold from the get go. I got a new window switch and put the mirrors on and everything worked fine.
Thanks for the reply ... that is promising. I wondered if the power fold would be plug and play with a new switch if originally equipped with the manual fold camper mirrors.

Please keep us posted on the progress of getting the marker lights and backup light working.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I just saw videos of the new mirrors installed on a Silverado 1/2 ton. WOW, they look awesome. I happen to like the chrome caps and bottoms even though most here hate on them. Makes the truck look much more complete. The outer markers do indeed double as turn indicators, and it sounds like the reverse lights double as puddle lamps when approaching the truck. Well done GM... even if the bottom mirror is not heated or power adjustable. We're getting closer :)
Where did you see the videos?

·
Registered
461 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Ahhh ...thanks.

... and here are the reverse lights in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhWJ7-mn0Ls
... now, if someone can just confirm exactly if and how this works on a camper-style mirror conversion BY EXPERIENCE, I will have a set. It will obviously take a new switch and harness, but what else to make ALL the features work ... re-program, splicing, second harness from the sitch to the ECM or other module?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I order my mirrors end of last week so hopefully they will be sent out today. Once I get them installed I will let you know how they will work. I pretty sure I know a way to get the marker light and the blinker to work on the mirrors so I can have both.
I would appreciate that. I thought about starting a new thread for the camper-style mirror upgrade to the new ones.

There are alot of features of the new ones that are not on the camper-style ...

Power fold
Auto fold when locking/unlocking
Tilt-down in reverse
Amber lights as clearance lights and turn signals
Reverse LEDs

I understand the new switch and harness, but what about the passenger side mirror? I cannot imagine GM put the capabilities into the earlier trucks with camper-style mirrors to upgrade to the new mirrors.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I think you are the winner for posting the first pic of the new mirrors actually on a dealer lot!
Yep ... winner. I was beginning to wonder if there was such a mirror ... LOL.

I suspect dealers better start learning how to upgrade their current stock to the new mirrors and, if it is a dealer that cares about their business and customers, they better start learning how to upgrade their customers' trucks.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.