Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my new truck 2 weeks ago. Not my first GMC, but it is my first Duramax. Enough with that...

Throughout my test drives, I never felt the seats were an issue. However, over the past two weeks, my back is killing me after driving for 20-30 minutes. I just can't seem to get comfortable and feel my butt is too low. I've adjusted every which way. If I put a small foam wedge or pillow, it's better but then the lumbar hits me wrong. I've had low back issues for 25 years and gave up my 08 F450 due to poor seating. My last truck was a 2500 Ram and didn't have any issues on short or long rides. I think if I adjusted the rear seat mounts with a riser, it might help. I see older models have had options and "riser's" exist for those.

Anyone else find this to be an issue?
Any known solutions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Should be able to raise the rear/lower the front with the seat adjustments.

·
Registered
217 Posts
yes but what he is saying is that he wants to sit on a pad and that adds height to the bottom of the seat. once that happens then the lumbar support is too low on his back. because the seat back is hinged off the back of the bottom of the seat. so he want to know if he can raise the seat back so that when he adds a seat pad the lumbar support would be properly placed. .

·
Registered
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
2,406 Posts
If I understand correctly ( not messed with a new one) the seat in the 2014-15 the bottom cushion moves with the back in unison. The older version my 07 the back and bottom move independent. I can raise my bottom or lower the bottom to put lumbar where it fits my personal comfort. Can the seats be separated in movement?
Seat swap for a older model

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Redwngr - logically, that works, but not mechanically. The front edge of seat tilts up/down. The rear does not, and the front doesn't go low enough to compensate. When you raise the rear it's actually just raising the entire seat. The movement is not 100% vertical either. Leaving my a#% lower than my knees. All of which puts pressure on my hamstrings and sciatica.

Ideally, I bought a $70k truck and don't want to use a foam seat pad.

·
Registered
217 Posts
while i agree with you about not wanting to use a foam seat cushion on such an expensive investment. i feel if you can alleviate your pain with it why not. isn't your back and comfort worth more than the price of the truck?

·
Registered
707 Posts
I really like the seats in my 15. You can adjust the position of the lumbar support within the back rest. Slide the lumbar adjustment switch up/down to adjust lumbar support to your back.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Mine started out a little stiff. Overtime, with plenty of leather conditioning. They've broken in better. I also deflate the lumbar adjustment as much as possible, that produces a softer feel to the lower back

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dmax affair - thanks. I've messed with the lumbar pump several times, but only thought it aired up/down the support. I pulled up on it and finally got it to click upward. Mine was in the lowest position and the cause of my problems. Much better now! Not sure why it was stuck, maybe it's just firm.

I did add a set of custom steel spacers/risers, 7/16", to the rear bolts. Between the two I think it's fixed.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Dmax affair - thanks. I've messed with the lumbar pump several times, but only thought it aired up/down the support. I pulled up on it and finally got it to click upward. Mine was in the lowest position and the cause of my problems. Much better now! Not sure why it was stuck, maybe it's just firm.

I did add a set of custom steel spacers/risers, 7/16", to the rear bolts. Between the two I think it's fixed.

:drink comfort

·
Premium Member
15,239 Posts
Yeah my brother and dads 2014 1/2 tons were the same way. Just had to be broken in and then they were fine. But very stiff when brand new!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.