Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a 3500 that had a reducer in it and I needed to get it out to put my 2.5" shank in. It must have been in there for awhile because it won't budge. I ended up jacking up the hitch pretty good so now I need a new receiver. Does anyone have any recommendations that are just bolt on with no drilling required. Need it to be at least 18k rated.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
So I picked up a 3500 that had a reducer in it and I needed to get it out to put my 2.5" shank in. It must have been in there for awhile because it won't budge. I ended up jacking up the hitch pretty good so now I need a new receiver. Does anyone have any recommendations that are just bolt on with no drilling required. Need it to be at least 18k rated.
Did you check etrailer?

I like the ones that have a square cross section tube that's welded into the side brackets because that design prevents the welds themselves from ever being under load. The OEM one has a circular cross section so the welds connecting the tube to the brackets have to bear the load, which I think is an interior design.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you check etrailer?

I like the ones that have a square cross section tube that's welded into the side brackets because that design prevents the welds themselves from ever being under load. The OEM one has a circular cross section so the welds connecting the tube to the brackets have to bear the load, which I think is an interior design.
I did but it stays that drilling is required with the affordable ones. Was curious what you have to actually drill.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I did but it stays that drilling is required with the affordable ones. Was curious what you have to actually drill.
Not to be a dick, but didn't you bother to read the installation instructions? They're available as a PDF on pretty much every product page.

I think this one meets your requirements and does not appear to require drilling. The cross-tube doesn't extend through the brackets though, so the welds bear the full load. Kind of a silly design in my opinion since it would have been trivially easy to just have them stick out another half inch or so on either side.

As for "affordable," I say go cheap when it comes to floor mats, bed liners, tool boxes, etc. Your truck's hitch receiver is not something I recommend trying to save money on. Just get the best thing available.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not to be a dick, but didn't you bother to read the installation instructions? They're available as a PDF on pretty much every product page.

I think this one meets your requirements and does not appear to require drilling. The cross-tube doesn't extend through the brackets though, so the welds bear the full load. Kind of a silly design in my opinion since it would have been trivially easy to just have them stick out another half inch or so on either side.

As for "affordable," I say go cheap when it comes to floor mats, bed liners, tool boxes, etc. Your truck's hitch receiver is not something I recommend trying to save money on. Just get the best thing available.
Since when did more expensive mean better quality. And yes I did read the instructions that’s why I said one that’s affordable that doesn’t require drilling.

I mean not to be a dick but didn’t you read my post? Maybe I’ve been out of the hitch game a little to long but I don’t ever remember paying over 300 dollars for a descent hitch. What’s the difference if I pay a professional to install a 200 hitch that’s rated the same as a 900 dollar one?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Was curious what you have to actually drill.
And yes I did read the instructions that’s why I said one that’s affordable that doesn’t require drilling.

What’s the difference if I pay a professional to install a 200 hitch that’s rated the same as a 900 dollar one?
The instructions show very clearly what needs to be drilled, so...yeah not sure where the disconnect is here.

Also, the hitch I linked is not $900. I think it's about half that.

Straightforward problem of finding a hitch that fits and bolts right on without drilling and supports your desired load capacity. None of the hitches that are rated for >= 18k are $200 which is not that surprising since that's about the cost of a 5k SUV receiver. Basically your options are about $260 for something that requires drilling or $425 for something that doesn't. At that price delta I'll take the no-drill option any day, thanks.

Not a heck of a lot left to debate/discuss here, I think.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The instructions show very clearly what needs to be drilled, so...yeah not sure where the disconnect is here.

Also, the hitch I linked is not $900. I think it's about half that.

Straightforward problem of finding a hitch that fits and bolts right on without drilling and supports your desired load capacity. None of the hitches that are rated for >= 18k are $200 which is not that surprising since that's about the cost of a 5k SUV receiver. Basically your options are about $260 for something that requires drilling or $425 for something that doesn't. At that price delta I'll take the no-drill option any day, thanks.

Not a heck of a lot left to debate/discuss here, I think.
I was on etrailer before I posted this and their options were 200 to 900. I wasn’t saying the link you provided was a 900 dollar one, I was just saying what do you consider cheap when their are hitches that go up to 900 dollars.

I didn’t read the one that required drilling. I some reviews but it sounds like it’s a universal hitch. A lot of other manufactures use it. Obviously the safe bet without drilling is the one the one you sent a link to. I was hoping someone here had something else that they have or had other then what etrailer offered.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I was on etrailer before I posted this and their options were 200 to 900. I wasn’t saying the link you provided was a 900 dollar one, I was just saying what do you consider cheap when their are hitches that go up to 900 dollars.

I didn’t read the one that required drilling. I some reviews but it sounds like it’s a universal hitch. A lot of other manufactures use it. Obviously the safe bet without drilling is the one the one you sent a link to. I was hoping someone here had something else that they have or had other then what etrailer offered.
I like @MIkey52's idea of going to a junkyard. Just make sure the welds and bolt holes look good and none of the flanges are bent. Also, I don't know if the OEM receiver is rated for 18k. That is a lot of weight for a bumper-pull trailer even for a 1-ton DRW.

·
Super Moderator
815 Posts
If you can't find it on etrailer, you probably don't want it. They have a good reputation for customer service.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
419 Posts
Not sure where you are located but Hicksville Auto Recyclers would have one. They are in Ohio.

Reactions: s022mag

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I forget now but my 2018 drw is rated for 18k or 20k. I regularly pull a 16 k bumper pull horse trailer.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone have an idea what to torque the bolts to on the hitch?

·
Super Moderator
815 Posts
@s022mag According to the 2017+ manual, 16lbft for the bumper bar to hitch, and 103 lbft for the hitch to frame.
I realize you have a 2015, but until someone else chimes in with service manual data, I figured I'd give you a starting point.
Good luck.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@s022mag According to the 2017+ manual, 16lbft for the bumper bar to hitch, and 103 lbft for the hitch to frame.
I realize you have a 2015, but until someone else chimes in with service manual data, I figured I'd give you a starting point.
Good luck.
Okay, thank you. That sounds more acceptable vs 150 or 190. They didn’t seem to be on to overly tight. I’ve never seen one bolted on with 12 bolts.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
419 Posts
Go with what Viper said. The 2017 is exactly the same as the 2015.

·
Registered
2017, 2500HD, LTZ, front guard, Duraflap mudguards, Leer bed topper
298 Posts
Don’t know what you are planning to use the truck/hitch for other than weight.

Find a used one is cool... easier

I bet where you live you can find a good welder who can build more hitch than you can imagine . Yes, it will cost some money... but it will be more than adequate and you can move it to your next truck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts