Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2015 downpipe install

11K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  keiffer166 
#1 ·
has anyone down a downpipe on a 2015 yet? Mine is in the shop right now for the delete and the exhaust is all the way off but the tech is stumped on the downpipe. Gave me a couple options, drop the trans (7hours) or lift the cab. don't really want to do wither. some help would be greatly appreciated!

#3 · (Edited)
oh jeeze I fucked with mine for 2.5 hours last sunday getting it out without anyone's help. make sure the front pipe is out of the way and the heat shield is off the turbo. next i took the sensor on the passenger side out of the DP. then I unbolted the DP from the truck and unbolted the heat shield from the DP. then I began pulling the DP down and then would go back on top the motor and pull the heat shield up to the top. after hours of working below and above the motor, I finally got the DP out and then pulled the heatshield out through the bottom as well.

there was also a 15mm i think? bolt that was the farthest one to the top on the side of the tranny that has like an inch long stud sticking out towards the back of the truck that i took out cuz the DP was getting hungup on it. just reinstalled the bolt after i got the DP out. i also reinstalled the turbo heat shield after I got the new DP clamped in on the top.

it was a pain in the ass and i was swearing the whole time lol. and for some reason this DP didn't make near as much of a tone difference as my last one did for some reason or maybe it's just in my head.

#4 ·
It took off the front of the exhaust to make room and then took the heat shield off the dp and bent it a little and then pushed it up while pulling the downpipe down and out. Awkward but doable. By myself it took about an hour. Knowing what I know now if I did it again I could probably knock it out in half that. Never messed with the transmission.

#7 ·
Yeah it is tighter. The 15 just requires you take off the heat shield and then it will slide out the bottom of the truck. My brother and I probably spent 1.5 hrs trying to squeeze it out before taking off the heat shield. Once we took it off, she slid right out. There should be 3 bolts holding the heat shield together. You can get 2 of them from below and the third one from up top.

#12 ·
I wouldn't think anything but the sheet metal would be any different between a GMC and a Chev.
There is no answer as to why but I read a lot of posts about downpipe install for this truck and a while back for my 08 and the general consensus was that there was more room in the GMC.

#15 ·
They are a lot tighter. I had to replace the egr bypass valve on a 15 at work and theyre a lot tighter to the firewall than a 11-14 lml

#17 ·
subd. Doing mine soon!

#19 ·
Great news!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.