Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my truck out of the shop for the second time after fuel contamination issue. Had complete fuel system replaced with FASS LIFT PUMP, main pump, injectors, fuel rails, exhaust and tune. Second trip to the shop had to replace up pipe. Drove from Houston to abeliene no problem. Once I got here this winter storm blows in. It’s snowing and getting down into the single digits. Drove to the store everything was fine. Went to leave an hour later truck turns over and fired off for a few seconds then shuts down. Someone said fuel cold be jelled? So I got a heat gun to warm up lift pump and a light to put in engine compartment. Next morning it ran a little longer and once I started pumping fuel pedal it took off and ran for about four minutes and came to a stop.hasn’t died off one time since. Should I get a scanner to see if there’s a code? I checked fuses that run to lift pump and were good. Should I check voltage to the pump? Is there a relay or any other fuses I should check?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just got my truck out of the shop for the second time after fuel contamination issue. Had complete fuel system replaced with FASS LIFT PUMP, main pump, injectors, fuel rails, exhaust and tune. Second trip to the shop had to replace up pipe. Drove from Houston to abeliene no problem. Once I got here this winter storm blows in. It’s snowing and getting down into the single digits. Drove to the store everything was fine. Went to leave an hour later truck turns over and fired off for a few seconds then shuts down. Someone said fuel cold be jelled? So I got a heat gun to warm up lift pump and a light to put in engine compartment. Next morning it ran a little longer and once I started pumping fuel pedal it took off and ran for about four minutes and came to a stop.hasn’t died off one time since. Should I get a scanner to see if there’s a code? I checked fuses that run to lift pump and were good. Should I check voltage to the pump? Is there a relay or any other fuses I should check?
*Fired off

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I'd loosen the bleeder screw on top of the fuel filter housing and turn the key on. If your lift pump is pumping fuel, it'll blow some fuel out around that bleeder screw. If it doesn't blow any fuel out of the bleeder, I'd assume your fuel is gelled up. Best bet then is to get it in somewhere to get warmed up.

There are other cures for gelled up fuel like Power Service Diesel 911 that you can dump into your tank but I don't know how long to expect it to take to clear up the tank and whether or not to expect it to clear the lines and everything up to the injector pump.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The restriction point(s) is the filter(s). In a lift pump scenario there could be 3 filters if the factory filter is still in place.

I've only had 1 fuel gel issue, and I removed the factory filter (I do not use a lift pump) thawed it out, filled it with PS 911, put the rest of the bottle into the tank and away I went with a downtime of less than an hour.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Untreated or unwinterized diesel fuel has a gel point of approximately 26F. You can heat the lift pump and engine compartment all you want but the fuel in the tank and feed line is gelled until above the gel point, Some folks refer to gelling as clouding. The solution is treated, winterized mix, usually the vendor receives a winter mix. If not, it has to be 50-50 diesel #1 (furnace fuel) and diesel #2 (vehicle fuel).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts