Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done the first fuel filter change on my 2015 Denali. Fuel filter life remaining 61%, total milage 16,289, 503hrs, 23 months on the truck. While I was at it I added the Mad Jack fuel filter access panel, this is going to make these filter changes much easier going fwd.

Pictures of the two year old filter and access panel.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Nice. Did you remove the fender liner to install the access panel or install in place?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice. Did you remove the fender liner to install the access panel or install in place?
I removed it. It was a bear to get back in as I have the GMC and the black trim that goes around the wheel openings, takes a bit to slide it into that tight gap.. LOL!

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Thanks. I may attempt mine w/o removing it when I'm ready to change the filter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know much about diesel fuel filters, but just the discoloration is enough to consider changing mine (2015 with 3,9xx miles). The truck sits around a lot and rarely gets driven more than 30-40 minutes at a time.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
I don't know much about diesel fuel filters,...
Pics seen are normal for the primary media, but that's the 1st I've seen the secondary media showing some use. Unused voids will be present, as it's under vacuum pulling thru the filter. A used fuel filter's efficiency climbs with use (filters better), to a degree.

You have to wonder though, as there are many threads like this (late model LMLs) with higher filter mileage than most earlier models produced,....is there a correlation between the filter media usage and the CP4 pump (which has a growing history of failing a.k.a $grenade$)?

Does the new acDelco filter (TP3018 vs the older TP3012), in conjunction with the CP4, affect the DIC% parameters, where input has the filter life going far beyond earlier LMLs? :surprise:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Pics seen are normal for the primary media, but that's the 1st I've seen the secondary media showing some use. Unused voids will be present, as it's under vacuum pulling thru the filter. A used fuel filter's efficiency climbs with use (filters better), to a degree.

You have to wonder though, as there are many threads like this (late model LMLs) with higher filter mileage than most earlier models produced,....is there a correlation between the filter media usage and the CP4 pump (which has a growing history of failing a.k.a $grenade$)?

Does the new acDelco filter (TP3018 vs the older TP3012), in conjunction with the CP4, affect the DIC% parameters, where input has the filter life going far beyond earlier LMLs? :surprise:
I'm sure some of you have seen my comments on this. Exactly your first comment. Which is why I follow the filter percentage, but I also drain my filter from time to time, and I never let my tank go below 3/8. I have never gotten any water out of that thing...ever. However, my guess is that owners are forgetting to drain the water out of the bottom of the filter. Once enough water is held in the filer the media can't work to separate anymore and some sneaks by. I remember seeing a post that greater than 90% of all CP4 failures were water based. The other possibility is that after 2 years there is a chance that debris can build up on the back side of the filter and eventually break loose.

Even the Ford guys have had CP4 failures at a 22500 change interval. They have to change 2 filters, the water separator and the one near the fuel rail.

I have roughly 48k miles on the current filter (11% remaining) and I have a really clean source. I am going to change it really soon. I noticed that if I drive the truck cold it will fall flat on its face and my mileage has gone down slightly.

·
Registered
16,263 Posts
Nicely done.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I'm sure some of you have seen my comments on this. Exactly your first comment. Which is why I follow the filter percentage, but I also drain my filter from time to time, and I never let my tank go below 3/8. I have never gotten any water out of that thing...ever. However, my guess is that owners are forgetting to drain the water out of the bottom of the filter. Once enough water is held in the filer the media can't work to separate anymore and some sneaks by. I remember seeing a post that greater than 90% of all CP4 failures were water based. The other possibility is that after 2 years there is a chance that debris can build up on the back side of the filter and eventually break loose.

Even the Ford guys have had CP4 failures at a 22500 change interval. They have to change 2 filters, the water separator and the one near the fuel rail.

I have roughly 48k miles on the current filter (11% remaining) and I have a really clean source. I am going to change it really soon. I noticed that if I drive the truck cold it will fall flat on its face and my mileage has gone down slightly.
I've always wondered if adding the AD 2 165-4G affects the DIC's FFL percentage. The manual I read says not to let the fuel filter get over 2 years or 20,000 miles so it is confusing as to what to follow. I am chancing my fuel filter for the first time here at 17,000 miles next weekend along with my airdog fuel filter and water seperator.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
It typically doesn't effect the dic. In order to keep things working at their peak I do the lp fws and filter at an alternated intveral with the OEM. I don't even check the ws on the tertiary but I drain the lp fws every few months for peace of mind. I change the OEM on a 25k ish rotation as the other filters keep it very clean

·
Registered
1 Posts
DIC Fuel Filter reading

Yesterday my DIC stated that my fuel filter had 89% remaining service life. Today on the way to work it dropped to zero. Has anybody heard of this or experienced this? From earlier threads maybe I should have been draining my fuel filter but I just changed the filter 5K miles ago???

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yesterday my DIC stated that my fuel filter had 89% remaining service life. Today on the way to work it dropped to zero. Has anybody heard of this or experienced this? From earlier threads maybe I should have been draining my fuel filter but I just changed the filter 5K miles ago???
There is a pressure sensor near the fuel filter housing. Its possible that might have gone south. You can check the sensor itself by unplugging and ohming it out and comparing it to a reference table for that sensor. Did you change the filter with a TP3018 delco?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Do you have anything that monitors rail pressure? Soon after I deleted my truck with a cp3 conversion and Fass 165, mine did the same, fuel filter percentage went from 90s to 0. Changed fuel filter and same thing. Then the truck started bogging down like it wasn't getting fuel. Watched actual rail pressure and desired and actual pressure was pretty lacking. I was starting to get worried, but it turned out all it was was a kinked fuel line. Fixed that and reset the fuel filter percentage and it's been fixed since. This was about 2 months ago. Makes me wonder if the fuel filter percentage is based on flow rate to an extent.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts