Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2015 DenaliHD 4x4, deleted/PPEI tuning s&b intake, 7in lift kit, 22in wheels 35x12.5in wheels, A
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What’s up all... my Duramax is not feeling well...

last week normal driving with the tune set to 1-stock, crusin On the freeway around 65-75mph I hit a bump part of the freeway that had rumble strips. I noticed the truck was riding really rough and I thought it was because of the rumble strips, so I went to change lanes I see nothing but white smoked dumping out of my exhaust!

I pulled over and noticed it was idling rough... I’ve read enough of these threads to have my suspicions about what it could be. Check engine light was not on so I turned the truck off, once I started it again my check engine light was on. I hobbled my way to the nearest dealership which was 5miles away, kept it under 10mph and they checked the codes.

P0272
P0304

they did a diag and said it could possibly be the injector but wanted to do a compression test but they said it would cost me $600 for that... I told them to fuck off and had the truck towed to a diesel Mech buddy on mine.

We replaced the injector and the P0272 code cleared but the P0304 code is still present. We went onto do a compression test of the #4 & #6 cylinders and the #4 cylinder reads 0 compression!!! #6 is normal. I attached some photos for reference below

I forgot to mention that a few weeks ago I went to Chevy and got a oil change, thought about changing the fuel filter but it was at 40% so I thought, fuck it. Get on the freeway about an hour into my drive my fuel filter goes from 40% to 0% in a second. I have also been getting low coolant but coolant levels were fine and my Mech did a pressure test and it was fine.

called a dmax shop here in CA and they told me to check the oil fill tube and also check the fuel pressure regulator cap for any metal 😟

Any other LML owners have/had this issue? Remedies? Am I fucked?

Any help would be appreciated.

(my buddy is a diesel tech, and it’s not that I don’t trust him but he doesn’t feel comfortable going further than what we have done since he primarily works on big rigs and isn’t familiar with the Duramax)

C5443B68-44D4-4D32-AECF-074E295E174F.png
E7F67BF4-AAB0-444D-A48C-11F279E18C49.jpeg
70E161A4-2DF6-4558-A4AE-860780113191.jpeg

·
Registered
694 Posts
At the very least a head is going to have to come off & have a look. JMO, probably not a good idea to advertise your name & address on those invoices on the net.

Reactions: Jags209

·
Registered
2015 DenaliHD 4x4, deleted/PPEI tuning s&b intake, 7in lift kit, 22in wheels 35x12.5in wheels, A
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
At the very least a head is going to have to come off & have a look. JMO, probably not a good idea to advertise your name & address on those invoices on the net.
I hear you brother, I’ll have to take those steps next!

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
514 Posts
Take the head off as mentioned and I’ll bet you will find a hole torched in that piston from a bad injector. Seems to happen on deleted and tuned LMLs for some reason. PPEI tuning probably multiplied the problem.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'm all for the borescope but it's going to show you a hole through the bowl of the piston, front or rear directly over the top of the wrist pin. Been there, done that, exact same symptoms. Truck started vibrating, moved around because I thought I was on rumble strips, white smoke fogging out the exhaust. Stopped, truck shaking at idle, then found no compression on one cylinder. Sorry man, I feel your pain.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lots of reading material here P0304 - Chevrolet Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Definition, Causes and Diagnosis

Before your take that head off, might want to get a USB borescope and take a look inside that bad cylinder. They can be purchased in many versions on EBAY for $20 or less. These are very handy devices for getting to see places your eyeball just can't get to.
that was going to be my next step, but I’ve just dropped the truck to a local Mech a few friend recommended. He said he thinks it’s the piston being cracked or a hole in it

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah bro, I’m hurting alright 😔 what did it end up running you out of pocket?

I’m thinking of taking this unfortunate opportunity and upgrading somethings since it’s going to be torn apart anyway, even thought about a 64mm turbo... but my main concern is just getting it up and running again

I'm all for the borescope but it's going to show you a hole through the bowl of the piston, front or rear directly over the top of the wrist pin. Been there, done that, exact same symptoms. Truck started vibrating, moved around because I thought I was on rumble strips, white smoke fogging out the exhaust. Stopped, truck shaking at idle, then found no compression on one cylinder. Sorry man, I feel your pain.

Reactions: cfell

·
Registered
2017, 2500HD, LTZ, front guard, Duraflap mudguards, Leer bed topper
786 Posts
So.. blythkd1, had you run 'tunes' before the failure on your truck? Not as a blame, because the pistons are known, I think, for these 'holes' happening ..... just curious..

Either way, what was the 'cause' of the piston failure.. just metal fatigue?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
So.. blythkd1, had you run 'tunes' before the failure on your truck? Not as a blame, because the pistons are known, I think, for these 'holes' happening ..... just curious..

Either way, what was the 'cause' of the piston failure.. just metal fatigue?
I'm pretty sure I was running the exact same setup that the OP was running at the time of failure. I think these pistons are just too marginal to handle much of a tune for any duration of time. I felt as guilty as the tuner in my case though. I towed heavy in the mountains pretty routinely. I was told it was a "safe" tune so I didn't worry about it. I should have had more gauges and at least been monitoring EGT. I learned the hard way.

Yeah bro, I’m hurting alright 😔 what did it end up running you out of pocket?

I’m thinking of taking this unfortunate opportunity and upgrading somethings since it’s going to be torn apart anyway, even thought about a 64mm turbo... but my main concern is just getting it up and running again
I bought all the stuff for one hole - piston, rings and rod bearing, Mahle gasket set less head gaskets, GM head gaskets, had the heads surfaced, new head bolts, new CP4, injectors and rails. $5000, give or take a few bucks. Did all the work myself other than the heads. I'm guessing it's 40-50 hours worth of work in a shop.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
update: the truck is still sitting at a local diesel mech, should be able to find the root this weekend! Hoping nothing to major 😅

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well Dboyz looks like I have a cracked #4 piston

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Afraid of that. Would have rather been wrong on this one.

Seems like it's usually the driver's side. We picked up a junk parts short block last weekend and it had either #4 or #6 piston cracked in two. #2 also had a hairline cracked started.

What's your next move?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Afraid of that. Would have rather been wrong on this one.

Seems like it's usually the driver's side. We picked up a junk parts short block last weekend and it had either #4 or #6 piston cracked in two. #2 also had a hairline cracked started.

What's your next move?
Me too bro! The #7 has a play in it too so we are going to address that as well. Most likely going to get sent out to the machine shop, going to do black diamond head gaskets kit and arp studs, edelbrock headers, Downpipe, finally going to install my fass fuel too. Not sure what else I can do, within my budget that is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts