Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, not yet but in a couple of weeks. This is my first diesel truck. I had an old Dodge with a 6 inch lift and 35" tires previously but this time I want to go bigger. Got a new GMC from a good friend who owns the dealership so I got the "preacher and brother-in-law" discount. He jokes a lot and sent me a text saying "I'm glad we finally unloaded that truck with all the trouble we've had with it." I responded "I'm glad I finally got to use that last stolen check."

Anyway, I am getting the Bulletproof 10 inch lift and 38" tires on 20 inch wheels. I must be an old fart (at age 40) because I'm not a fan of the bigger wheels. I still like the look of the trucks I grew up seeing with 15" wheels and huge boggers. The stock gears are 3.73 and I'm swapping to 4.88.

I am already thinking about going up to 40" tires when these wear out. But I already paid for the 38s so I'll start there. I'll put up more photos when it's finished in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Giggity.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Sub'd, truck should look amazing when it's finished. I'm with you on the more tire than wheel part. It's not an old guy thing I'm only 23:rofl

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can't wait to see the progress pics...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's taking almost a full month to get the lift mailed in to the guy doing it. Kinda frustrating. He already has the wheels, tires, gears, AMP power steps, etc but just waiting on the lift. I am dropping it off Friday and he estimates 10 days to get everything done. I am out of town the next week so it will be the first week of October before I get it. I'll get lots of photos for you guys since we don't see many 38s on 20s.

·
Registered
494 Posts
It's taking almost a full month to get the lift mailed in to the guy doing it. Kinda frustrating. He already has the wheels, tires, gears, AMP power steps, etc but just waiting on the lift. I am dropping it off Friday and he estimates 10 days to get everything done. I am out of town the next week so it will be the first week of October before I get it. I'll get lots of photos for you guys since we don't see many 38s on 20s.
Damn! This was another reason I went with Cognito. Mine arrived in a week.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dropped my truck off 3 weeks ago and it's still not done. This will be the 4th week and it will supposedly be done middle of this week. Incredibly frustrating to get a new truck then they keep it for a month. Especially for what they are charging me.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Why did you go with such steep gears? Where in the RPM range do you think you'll be at 70mph?
I am also in agreement about the tires. I wanted 20's, but I didn't want to lift my truck and a 33" on a 20" doesn't leave enough tire for me to do the kind of things I wanted a truck for.
Are you going to tune that monster? It would go a long way to getting some power back that those 38's are going to steal.
I honestly don't remember the last time I took a vehicle to a shop... my last experience... like 15 years ago was like yours. I've got a buddy I pay to work on the truck. He is the only guy I allowed to touch my Corvettes too. Anything from oils changes to turbo swaps. If he can't do it, I probably won't have it done. I hope you get your truck back soon.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I don't understand much about gears but....According to the charts from google, my stock 3.73 gears on stock 33" tires should change to 4.27 gears when I go to 38" tires. This is just to maintain the same RPM. So I went a little further to give more acceleration but also because I think I will go up to 40" tires in about a year after these wear out.
Yep, they're running a tuner on it also.

I wish I could do it myself or had a friend that could do it. I can change my oil but that's about it. I wish I had time to learn more about truck maintenance because it's lots of fun and rewarding.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Damn 4 weeks of installation... i knocked my kit out in 4 days working only at night after i got off work.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It turns out they didn't even receive the kit in the mail until the end of last week...after they already had my truck for 2 weeks, plus waiting 2 weeks before dropping my truck off for them to order it. So it took a month for the kit to arrive. I am also in a service oriented industry and if one of my vendors/suppliers does this to me I crawl up somebody's a$$ and let them know I will recommend another vendor to my next customer. Especially for the kind of money I am flopping down for this. I know many things are out of their control, but I'm just irritated that my truck has been sitting there for 3 weeks when I could have been driving it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The truck is supposed to be ready Friday. They did text me a couple of teaser photos. 38 inch tires on 20 inch Fuel Mavericks.

·
unknown known most
15,249 Posts
Subd

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It looks like my truck will be ready to pick up tomorrow. The lift is on and he still has to install the AMP steps, run the tuner, and minor stuff. He sent me this photo and now I'm getting excited.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts