Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a ton of digging and the one thing that is holding me up is the return line from the lift pump.
I plan on running a Beans sump with Fass 165. where does the return line connect? i plan on installing directly under the sending unit and most sumps use a 6" return tube, i do plan on drilling a hole in the bottom of the basket but not sure if this will allow adequate room for the tube. any insight is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
10,656 Posts
Don't know about the 2015 but the older trucks returned fuel to the filler neck, Fass should come with instructions.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Depends. If you get the right sump it'll have a port for the return in the sump. Otherwise the return will be the filler neck

·
Registered
319 Posts
MY 2014 was in the neck

·
Premium Member
10,656 Posts
Depends. If you get the right sump it'll have a port for the return in the sump. Otherwise the return will be the filler neck
He actually stated that he planned on running the Beans sump.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have done a ton of digging and the one thing that is holding me up is the return line from the lift pump.
I plan on running a Beans sump with Fass 165. where does the return line connect? i plan on installing directly under the sending unit and most sumps use a 6" return tube, i do plan on drilling a hole in the bottom of the basket but not sure if this will allow adequate room for the tube. any insight is appreciated
Honestly if your Duramax is stock or slightly modified (even up to 600hp) the 165 is overkill for what you are needing. Actually the 165 usually for some will require the sump to keep the 1/4 tank issues at bay because the 165 will circulate enough fuel to drain the sending unit basket. If you wish to go the route of adding the sump fine but you are spending more money that what is needed to supply fuel to the CP3/4. Dean

PS. The FASS installation will have you cut the fill hose and splice in return line but with a sump you can have the lift pump return directly to the sump if that is what you wish. D

·
Registered
2016 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax
134 Posts
On my 2016 Duramax, I put the return line at the filler neck.

·
Registered
2016 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax
134 Posts
The lift pump I received came with the return filler neck adapter. I just cut the filler neck and installed it inside.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I run the XDP sump and drilled in tank directly under basket and chose not to use the pipe for return. I'm also running the 165gph and have never once suffered from any fuel related issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I plan on running a Beans sump with Fass 165. where does the return line connect? i plan on installing directly under the sending unit and most sumps use a 6" return tube, i do plan on drilling a hole in the bottom of the basket but not sure if this will allow adequate room for the tube. any insight is appreciated!
I installed a FASS 165, FASS sump, deleted the stock fuel filter also use Hotshot EDT. Have not and issues, little better mileage.
I installed a FASS 165, FASS sump, deleted the stock fuel filter also use Hotshot EDT. Have not and issues, little better mileage.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Honestly if your Duramax is stock or slightly modified (even up to 600hp) the 165 is overkill for what you are needing. Actually the 165 usually for some will require the sump to keep the 1/4 tank issues at bay because the 165 will circulate enough fuel to drain the sending unit basket. If you wish to go the route of adding the sump fine but you are spending more money that what is needed to supply fuel to the CP3/4. Dean

PS. The FASS installation will have you cut the fill hose and splice in return line but with a sump you can have the lift pump return directly to the sump if that is what you wish. D
Please explain what the 1/4 tank issue is....I've heard of it but don't know what it is... I'm too old to care what others might think of my ignorance so please educate me. Thanks

·
Registered
677 Posts
Please explain what the 1/4 tank issue is....I've heard of it but don't know what it is... I'm too old to care what others might think of my ignorance so please educate me. Thanks
The sending unit has a basket at the bottom that rests on the bottom of the tank. That basket has fuel that keeps it full as the fuel sloshes around. As the fuel get lower to where it can’t slosh over and fill the basket there are check flappers that allow fuel to enter the basket but not flow out. When you put in a high GPH lift pump you can suck fuel out of the basket faster that the fuel can keep it full. Remember that the return fuel and lift pumps that are air separator system will dump there aerated fuel back in the basket. The high GPH pumps will take fuel out faster that what the tank system can keep fuel back in it. This happens when the fuel can’t flow over the sides of the basket. This normally occurs at a quarter tank. The way around this is to add a sump at the bottom of the tank and do away with the basket. Hence the quarter tank issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
IIRC, when I put my FASS and Beans in the sump has a return inlet. That is where the return line goes. The kit came with a "Y" to put the return into the fill neck but I went to the sump return. There is an alignment issue where the holes are, be careful and line them up. I also deleted the filter as the FASS unit filters have a finer screen in them than the stock ones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If the person that installs the system does not follow the instructions exactly as it states, when it comes to preparing the lines that are installed inside the sending unit and (collapsing the tank as if it is was installed in the vehicle) once your tank gets close to empty, the 1/4 tank will not be accurate.
I too was very concerned about this, but I definitely didn't like the thought of a sump hanging on the bottom of my tank. My mechanic done an excellent job and my gauge is spot on. Now, the digital readout may be off a little I'm not too sure because I don't really pay attention to it. Hope this explains things a little bit.

·
Premium Member
10,656 Posts
Unless the Beans sump has changed in design (which it very well could have) mine didn't return fuel through the sump although several other brands
IIRC, when I put my FASS and Beans in the sump has a return inlet. That is where the return line goes. The kit came with a "Y" to put the return into the fill neck but I went to the sump return. There is an alignment issue where the holes are, be careful and line them up. I also deleted the filter as the FASS unit filters have a finer screen in them than the stock ones.
did.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts