Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one have any good ideas what to seal my new mud flaps to the sheet steel, These new ones have small amount of tape liner at the top. Cause the mud flaps on my old LLY rubbed the paint off.
Den.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
3M double sided tape? Used on window ventshades.

I'm not sure if it's what you are looking for, but thought I would throw it out there as an option.

·
Registered
84 Posts
GMC Mud Flaps

Don't know if you have started to put the GMC Accessory Mud Flaps on your truck yet, but if not check out your instructions closely lots of special tools, drills and lubes. They had to have been designed by some frustrated overpaid engineer!
I started the rear ones, looked easy enough but I can't get the rear wheel off the hub - yes I kicked it (Per advise of the service department) but I was worried the truck would fall off the skinny jack I was using. So I decided to move to the front wheel, BIG mistake. Different sized drills, one of them 23/64, of course I didn't have two of the three sizes, off to HD, they only had one, should have just gone to my True Value lumber yard rather then wasting my time at HD.
Drills in hand I come home, the front mud flaps call for pre-drilling small holes before you drill the 23/64 size and put these metal anchors into the holes but not before you remove the place wheel well trim and "PEAL back the wheel well liner". Wait a minute - I am putting on Mud Flaps aren't I ? Oh ya and the bottom screw that holds on the wheel well trim, well I have two pop-rivets. So how do I get those off?
So I've decided to thow away the GM instructions which are insane and do what I've done on my last four trucks. Just drill a hole and use stainless or aluminum self tapping screw with washer to take the place of this convoluted method. I'm sure they will hold up and look just fine like my other 4 trucks and yes my last truck had the molded ones and they were held on by screws.
I'm sure the dealership doesn't install them using the instructions, they just have lots of self tapping screws and throw the instructions away with the anchors and screws.
Oh ya! The wheel I can't get off - tomorrow it goes across the street to my buddy's garage, he has a large jack and we will get that wheel off and lube the puppy up so that doesn't happen again.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Yes gm is nuts with the instuctions they give you, i use good screws and put a gob of grease on each screw.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yes gm is nuts with the instuctions they give you, i use good screws and put a gob of grease on each screw.
I hated having to trim the painted front fender caulking ... if I decide to remove the flares, it certainly will not look good and forget the "special insert" and insert tool for the front flares, I ordered enough screw/washer assemblies for all four mud flaps so everything matched ...

20141201_151905.jpg

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have what was included in the package, so yesterday I was able to find some Chromium self tapping black screws at the local hardware store and stainless washers, washers will have to be painted black but I need 6 of them so I should be all set, it's only for the front flaps since there isn't a problem with the back ones I can use the GM enclosed hardware.
It's just the front flaps that the highly engineered impractical mounting screws.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I now have mine on the truck ditto to Westind findings.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Got the mud flaps on the truck, used the screws and fasteners that came with the rear ones, used two of the existing screws on the front and added two black sheet metal screws and stainless washers that I got and painted black for the front and threw the expanding screw studs out that came with the front flaps. Easy Peezy! GM needs to look at those installation instructions and redo the over engineered application with a simple one.

Biggest time eater and effort was getting the two rear wheels off the hubs - they had corroded - took many hits with a sledge and wood block to get them off.
Sanded and wire brushed then applied a very very lite coating of grease to prevent future problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts