Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stupid question. I have a 2015 Silverado HD with about 19,000 miles on it. At the bottom of the gauge cluster there is this little green and sometimes yellow car symbol that comes on and I kept thinking that this was telling me that the diesel particulate filter was being cleaned by the exhaust fluid (Or I think some may call this "regen" cycle) but when I read the manual it said that the DIC would actually tell me it was doing that and I never could find any info on the green car symbol. I then thought that it was telling me I was getting optimum fuel mileage but it is on all the time no matter how I am driving and I have a lead foot. I do also drive slow and watch the fuel economy gauge so I have all types of driving habits. What is the green and sometimes yellow light telling me?

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Do you have lane departure?

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's letting you know there is a car in front of you. When it's yellow your getting too close. You should be able to shut that off if you have the button on your steering wheel for collision detection.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
746 Posts
That's letting you know there is a car in front of you. When it's yellow your getting too close. You should be able to shut that off if you have the button on your steering wheel for collision detection.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
X2 also the green car goes away when there isn't a vehicle in front of you

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
o.k. fellows. Thanks. I will have to try this. I do in fact have collision warning, lane departure and all of that. I have had the red led lights come on when I come on somebody too close but it has usually been when I was hauling ass. I didn't think that this would also be the case with the little green/yellow car symbol at the bottom center of the gauge cluster. Live and learn. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Crazyeye

·
Registered
412 Posts
Green means your keeping pace or not moving as fast as the car in front of you - yellow means your moving 3-5 mph faster than the car in front of you and the BAM! flashing red lights is you are moving over 10mph faster than the car in front of you. All distances are set via the DIC - in my 15 Denali it's a menu in the Intellilink system YMMV.

I tested the shit out of this, as it's not really documented. My results above are repeatable, but, the wife got bored and drove home before I could test them 5X in a row. She masks her ire well with my need to know, and the funny little things I make her do to help me figure stuff out. :rof

·
Registered
12 Posts
Funny. I wondered the same thing. I tried testing as well. It doesn't matter how close you are, it's about the closing speed. If you're approaching the car in front of you too quickly (closing the gap too quickly) it turns from green to yellow to eventually a ref heads up indicator and the seat vibrates. Here's my question: with this "warning" does it also have active braking if you dont respond? I am too chickensh!t (or smart :)) to try it and I hope it never happens but curious If it works this way. Anyone know?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Funny. I wondered the same thing. I tried testing as well. It doesn't matter how close you are, it's about the closing speed. If you're approaching the car in front of you too quickly (closing the gap too quickly) it turns from green to yellow to eventually a ref heads up indicator and the seat vibrates. Here's my question: with this "warning" does it also have active braking if you dont respond? I am too chickensh!t (or smart :)) to try it and I hope it never happens but curious If it works this way. Anyone know?
1500 trucks will apply brakes, 2500 trucks only have the warning

1 - 10 of 10 Posts