Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no clue what the stabilitrak does I just figured out how to turn it off I hold down my traction control button for a second or 2 and keep holding down for an Aditional few seconds then another light comes on and tells me stabilitrak is off

Question is Obivusly traction control controls wheel slip but what does stabilitrak do

Seems kinda redundant

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Keeps ya in a none sideways direction.

Go play in the snow, turn off traction control and leave stabili on, very un eventful power slides. Now flip the stabili off and proceed to win donut competitions :thumb

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keeps ya in a none sideways direction.

Go play in the snow, turn off traction control and leave stabili on, very un eventful power slides. Now flip the stabili off and proceed to win donut competitions :thumb
Got cha so traction control=peel outs
Stabilitrak=I can drift CCLB lol

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
All day!

And it is exceptional at what it does 95% of the time.
Most nights coming home from work in the winter on icy/snow roads I would click off traction control so I could spin to get moving otherwise it would defuel to the point of no movement, but I would leave stabili on to keep the truck from being yanked around by ruts in the snow :thumb

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All day!

And it is exceptional at what it does 95% of the time.
Most nights coming home from work in the winter on icy/snow roads I would click off traction control so I could spin to get moving otherwise it would defuel to the point of no movement, but I would leave stabili on to keep the truck from being yanked around by ruts in the snow :thumb
Sweet Thanks for the little lesson now all I need to go do is find snow in southern California :rof

·
Premium Member
15,239 Posts
How bout sandy roads.........

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wet roads maybe , sandy if I look hard enough fuck it I got shy of 800 foot pounds of tourqe for a reason

Find a nice parking lot and let her rip :)

·
Premium Member
15,239 Posts
^^^^gonna need a video of that please sir.....

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
All electrical nannies off, M mode, 3rd gear selected, tow haul on, turn left or right, apply brakes, apply throttle and bring rpms to 1500ish, floor go pedal and off the brakes together.

That's been my best set-up :thumb

·
Registered
412 Posts
All electrical nannies off, M mode, 3rd gear selected, tow haul on, turn left or right, apply brakes, apply throttle and bring rpms to 1500ish, floor go pedal and off the brakes together.

That's been my best set-up :thumb
MMMM someone's been cooking up a Smoke show! nice.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Google or youtube "ESC" "electronic stability control" or "ESP".

Prevents loss of control on slippery roads if you go to swerve around something at high speed. 9 times out of 10 it will be able to mitigate a rollover during an emergency evasive maneuver and save your life. It cant defy physics, but it comes pretty close and saves thousands of lives a year.

Basically, the system has incredibly sensitive accelerometers, yaw sensors, and rollover sensors. It also has a speed sensor at each wheel, and a steering wheel position sensor so it knows which way the driver wants the vehicle to go.

So if you go to swerve around something, or the truck starts to slip, and the system sees that the truck is going a different direction than the way that the driver is steering (IE, its oversteering, understeering, fishtailing, etc), in the blink of an eye it can instantly apply braking at various individual wheels to counteract the yaw force on the vehicle.

Think of it like having 4 separate brake pedals for each wheel...the system can pretty effectively "steer" the vehicle to stabilize it and stop a skid/slide/rollover.

For example, you're on a wet road at 60mph, deer jumps out, and you swerve left, but because of inertia and wet roads, the truck continues to go straight (plow/understeer)...system sees that and instantly applies hard braking to the left rear wheel to effectively suck the truck left into a turn...then once you're around the deer and go to swerve back right into your lane, the weight shifts on the truck, and the back end of the truck starts to kick around and put you into the ditch, the system applies a couple hard brake events to the left front wheel to arrest the oversteer, then right after a couple hard braking events to the right front wheel to stabilize the truck, then a couple hard braking actions to each rear wheel individually to dampen any residual tail wagging.

If the truck is oversteering significantly, like already going sideways because of sheet ice, it will put one of the front wheels and the opposite side rear wheel into deep slip (like lock them up fully) and release most of the pressure on the opposite wheels in effort to force/induce understeer to straighten the truck out.

This all happens in literally less than a second, and it just saved you from making a call to the insurance company, or hospital.

All you need to do is just point the steering wheel where you want the truck to go. Dont try to get all fancy and try to second guess it or countersteer yourself...otherwise it doesnt really know what you want to do. Its like ABS...dont pump the brakes yourself, just hold the pedal right to the floor and let it do its thing.

Lots of other technologies are also integrated into the ABS/ESC (stabilitak) module as well. Trailer sway control can recognize any trailer sway that starts, and then it applies rear braking individually "out of phase" with the sine wave/sway of the trailer, and cancels it out, thus stopping any trailer sway.

"panic brake assist" senses if the driver immediately lifts off the throttle at high speed (like in a panic stop)...if it detects this, it immediately (like in a couple milliseconds) pre-charges the brakes and if you begin to apply the brakes at a certain rate (like slamming them on), the system immediately applies full ABS braking and builds up pressure beyond what you might be exerting on the brake pedal. This logic is put in place for drivers who might panic and freeze up and not fully apply the brakes as hard as possible...like they freak out and only press the pedal 80% of the way down...the system builds pressure above what the driver is exerting to stop the truck as quick as physically possible. Also, when you mash on the brake pedal, there is a delay from when you first touch the pedal to when you fully stroke the master cylinder..the system can reduce this time from a couple hundred milliseconds to almost zero, which can reduce stopping distance by a couple feet.

You can actually sometimes feel panic brake assist kick in if you chop the throttle and immediately mash on the brake pedal (simulating a panic stop), but then let up on the pedal just a little bit....you wont actually feel the brakes let up a bit even though you released a little bit of pressure on the pedal...the system is keeping the brakes fully charged for you. Obviously once you let up significantly on the pedal, it exits PBA mode.

And then finally, "corner brake control"....logic that will lightly apply the inside brakes on a sharp turn to help suck the truck through the corner and make it handle better.

And then of course if all else fails and the truck goes off the road and starts to tip and gets past the point of a rollover being imminent, it locks up all the wheels, fires the seatbelt pretensioners and side curtain airbags to protect you in the rollover.

These trucks are smart.

Ben

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hahahahahahahah you guys are to much

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Google or youtube "ESC" "electronic stability control" or "ESP".

Prevents loss of control on slippery roads if you go to swerve around something at high speed. 9 times out of 10 it will be able to mitigate a rollover during an emergency evasive maneuver and save your life. It cant defy physics, but it comes pretty close and saves thousands of lives a year.

Basically, the system has incredibly sensitive accelerometers, yaw sensors, and rollover sensors. It also has a speed sensor at each wheel, and a steering wheel position sensor so it knows which way the driver wants the vehicle to go.

So if you go to swerve around something, or the truck starts to slip, and the system sees that the truck is going a different direction than the way that the driver is steering (IE, its oversteering, understeering, fishtailing, etc), in the blink of an eye it can instantly apply braking at various individual wheels to counteract the yaw force on the vehicle.

Think of it like having 4 separate brake pedals for each wheel...the system can pretty effectively "steer" the vehicle to stabilize it and stop a skid/slide/rollover.

For example, you're on a wet road at 60mph, deer jumps out, and you swerve left, but because of inertia and wet roads, the truck continues to go straight (plow/understeer)...system sees that and instantly applies hard braking to the left rear wheel to effectively suck the truck left into a turn...then once you're around the deer and go to swerve back right into your lane, the weight shifts on the truck, and the back end of the truck starts to kick around and put you into the ditch, the system applies a couple hard brake events to the left front wheel to arrest the oversteer, then right after a couple hard braking events to the right front wheel to stabilize the truck, then a couple hard braking actions to each rear wheel individually to dampen any residual tail wagging.

If the truck is oversteering significantly, like already going sideways because of sheet ice, it will put one of the front wheels and the opposite side rear wheel into deep slip (like lock them up fully) and release most of the pressure on the opposite wheels in effort to force/induce understeer to straighten the truck out.

This all happens in literally less than a second, and it just saved you from making a call to the insurance company, or hospital.

All you need to do is just point the steering wheel where you want the truck to go. Dont try to get all fancy and try to second guess it or countersteer yourself...otherwise it doesnt really know what you want to do. Its like ABS...dont pump the brakes yourself, just hold the pedal right to the floor and let it do its thing.

Lots of other technologies are also integrated into the ABS/ESC (stabilitak) module as well. Trailer sway control can recognize any trailer sway that starts, and then it applies rear braking individually "out of phase" with the sine wave/sway of the trailer, and cancels it out, thus stopping any trailer sway.

"panic brake assist" senses if the driver immediately lifts off the throttle at high speed (like in a panic stop)...if it detects this, it immediately (like in a couple milliseconds) pre-charges the brakes and if you begin to apply the brakes at a certain rate (like slamming them on), the system immediately applies full ABS braking and builds up pressure beyond what you might be exerting on the brake pedal. This logic is put in place for drivers who might panic and freeze up and not fully apply the brakes as hard as possible...like they freak out and only press the pedal 80% of the way down...the system builds pressure above what the driver is exerting to stop the truck as quick as physically possible. Also, when you mash on the brake pedal, there is a delay from when you first touch the pedal to when you fully stroke the master cylinder..the system can reduce this time from a couple hundred milliseconds to almost zero, which can reduce stopping distance by a couple feet.

You can actually sometimes feel panic brake assist kick in if you chop the throttle and immediately mash on the brake pedal (simulating a panic stop), but then let up on the pedal just a little bit....you wont actually feel the brakes let up a bit even though you released a little bit of pressure on the pedal...the system is keeping the brakes fully charged for you. Obviously once you let up significantly on the pedal, it exits PBA mode.

And then finally, "corner brake control"....logic that will lightly apply the inside brakes on a sharp turn to help suck the truck through the corner and make it handle better.

And then of course if all else fails and the truck goes off the road and starts to tip and gets past the point of a rollover being imminent, it locks up all the wheels, fires the seatbelt pretensioners and side curtain airbags to protect you in the rollover.

These trucks are smart.

Ben
Love it thank you for the Scientific explanation

·
Premium Member
15,239 Posts
Many people seem to forget how smart these things truly are :thumb
Yeah if our trucks could talk on here we would have much more insight to them instead of us just trolling around...or some of us....:drink

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Man that is some awesome information. Will the cruise control drop if the truck senses slippage?

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Man that is some awesome information. Will the cruise control drop if the truck senses slippage?
Two answers:
1. Yes the cruise will be kicked off in a situation where traction control/stabilitrac need to intervene.
2. You shouldn't have had cruise control on prior to traction control/stabilitrac intervening due to conditions obviously weren't ideal. It does take a good chunk of slip for it to turn off cruise though.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
So I should only use my cruise in the summer during the day set at 55mph? I was wondering because of black ice

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
55 mph might be a tad fast, and only at high noon too so the sun doesn't get in your eyes :rof

How would I know it takes quite a bit without doing it myself :thumb
A small patch of black ice probably won't cause it to kick off. I felt like it upped to almost 1/4 throttle before giving up in a straight line, but a slight hint of the rear end coming around will deactivate it much sooner :thumb

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.