Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the truck up for the winter back in November last year. I'd periodically start it and move it out of the garage into the driveway. The snow and salt are about gone and I'm getting a little antsy and went out to fire it up and noticed the touch screen doesn't work to the touch. It does display and everything appears to work via buttons and knobs but not to the touch.
Anybody else have this issue?
Can't seem to find a TSB on it either.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
on my 2017 they had to replace the module and the whole radio under warranty, I would check to make sure you have full voltage and no fuses blown

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
If it has power I doubt it is the fuse. I would also try removing both NEGATIVE battery cables. Charge the batteries and then reinstall the cables. See if this resets the radio.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My 2017’s head unit is kinda laggy sometimes. Sometimes it will quit responding to touch, then it’ll crash, screen goes black and then it restarts and works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
My 2017’s head unit is kinda laggy sometimes. Sometimes it will quit responding to touch, then it’ll crash, screen goes black and then it restarts and works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like it has software issues, Id take it to dealer and have it fixed while under warranty!

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Have you tried pulling the radio fuse for a few minutes and reinstalling it? the radio might just be getting stuck somewhere along the way while booting up, removing the fuse and letting the capacitors drain in the radio will do a hard restart of the system. Its free and worth a shot. Disconnecting the battery cables on BOTH batteries, then touching + and - together does the same thing, just truck wide.

edit: also, just to add to the discussion. My 15 radio has similar gremlins. Not with the screen, but occasionally there will just be no sound from the unit, no turn signal noise or anything. A hard restart of the radio fixes this issue as well, which is likely a software problem also. "Fixes" is probably the wrong word.... more like bandaids a problem that should not even be a problem in this day and age.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried the battery cable trick with no luck and also tried the screen calibration but it wouldnt even try to calibrate. I got a call in to GM customer service and support. They want to troubleshoot with me first and go from there. If it requires a visit to the dealer hopefully they will step up since it's out of warranty by about 7 months.
We will see what happens...

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
I tried the battery cable trick with no luck and also tried the screen calibration but it wouldnt even try to calibrate. I got a call in to GM customer service and support. They want to troubleshoot with me first and go from there. If it requires a visit to the dealer hopefully they will step up since it's out of warranty by about 7 months.
We will see what happens...
If not, it may ultimately be less stressful to replace it with aftermarket hardware. The wife's cruze had a similar radio issue and the dealer just wouldent do anything about it even under factory warranty, car had like 15,000 miles at that point and was a year old. we went round and round with the dealer taking the car in for the radio 4 or 5 times, eventually i just replaced the radio and the issue has been gone for years. Im sure if i kept pushing eventually we would have gotten it resolved but since i have a background in car electronics it was just so much easier to deal with it myself and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
There’s a ground under the dash cover up close to the windshield. It’s known to be an issue. Pop the closest cover to the shield off and look on the drivers side I think. There will be a wire attached to a ground with a ring connector. Sometimes the wire wasn’t stripped back enough before the ring connector was attached. It’s worth a shot. Also check to see if there is a good clean surface the connector is connected to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts