Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2015 tow mirrors - back up lights

113K views 48 replies 26 participants last post by  DMaxRocks 
#1 ·
From what I understand the LED lights on the new tow mirrors on the 2015's are capable of illuminating in reverse? If that is true how do you enable that function? Mine do not do that and I can't find anything in the owners manual to that states how they can be enabled. They will light up when the cargo light is on, but not in reverse.

#2 ·
Turn on the cargo light while in park. Go to drive and the lights go out. Put it in reverse and they come on. You can leave the switch on while you are driving...however when you put it in park the lights will come on even with the key off.

When I am backing up and think I need them, I just turn them on with the cargo light switch and then turn them off.

Reactions: Tinana and jkautz
#3 ·
Thanks. So in other words there is no default for the lights to just come on in reverse. Well I'll give that a try tonight and see what it looks like.

#4 · (Edited)
Install a jumper wire on BCM, between the utility light pin and reverse light pin. Below is a photo, I used a wire so it works both ways all on in reverse and all on with utility switch and unlock at night. With a bedcover this helps with under rail lights coming on with unlock.

Attachments

#5 ·
What diode or resistor did you use?

#6 ·
good picture but where is the BCM sorry newbe to a durmax

Thanks

#7 ·
I just ordered a 2015 dually and I had seen these mirrors on a truck at the Farm Machinery Show in Louisville. When I ordered, there was never an option for the lights. Are they standard on the vertical camper mirrors? Mine will be heated with turn signals and manual fold/extend. The truck I saw them on was a WT, mine is an LT.

#8 · (Edited)
Sorry guys it's under the dash by foot pedals, lie on back under steering wheel and look up with a light a picture will be easy to duplicate. I originally purchased a small 1.5 amp diode but then switch to a solid wire so it would work both ways.
I've had this done to 2 trucks for 4 months now without issue.

#9 ·
Installed mine in about 1.5minutes! It works the way it should now other then I want to figure out how to run a three way switch to the back to turn on the lights in the bed. So you don't have to enter the cab to do it. Any ideas?

#10 ·
I don't other than when you hit unlock at night on key fob or Onstar app the under rail lights should come on if you used a wire. But you are wanting an outside switch near the back of bed I assume.

#11 ·
Kakymax,

Thank you for clearing up where the BCM is. I will do this mod when it is a little warmer out not 10 degrees

#27 ·
On mine I used a 1.25" long piece of solid copper core telephone wire(the kindof wire like you run through your home from phone jack to phone jack) .. It is small diameter and solid single strand so it goes into the wire terminal recess easily..

Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.