Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I did it on my 2016.. Colors are different but the location of the terminals is the same.. Works wonderful.. Best modification out there...

Rick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got it to work. Like others have mentioned. Best mod around. If its not working at first, youre not getting a good enough connection inside the connectors. Really took some pressure on mine to get them to make a good connection.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
On mine I used a 1.25" long piece of solid copper core telephone wire(the kindof wire like you run through your home from phone jack to phone jack) .. It is small diameter and solid single strand so it goes into the wire terminal recess easily..

Rick

·
Registered
12 Posts
Works great on my 2016 LT. Hardest part was finding a wire that was small enough and strong enough to stick in the connector. Thanks for the picture and description of where to find the BCM!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tried this on my 2015 2500, color coding looks different and i had no success. Any suggestions?
I have a 2015 also. Are the pin hole the same as in the picture provided in an earlier post? Upgraded to tow mirrors and would like the LEDs to come on in reverse. They only come on with cargo right now. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'll be attempting this on my 2017 today - Wife likes the reverse lights on the mirror's, forgets it's on, and parks truck at sale barn...

4 hours later...

Wife calls on way home, says the Voltage was low, but it's OK now...Gets home, parks truck, forgets it's on... We chit chat, and I go out to check the truck out...it looks like a Search party in the Driveway...Hmmmm, Honey.<we have a blond moment> Yes you do have to turn off the cargo lights when you park it, yes, I do know that is dumb, sure I understand, of course...I'll fix it dear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Works great on my 2016 LT. Hardest part was finding a wire that was small enough and strong enough to stick in the connector. Thanks for the picture and description of where to find the BCM!
What type of wire did you finally end up using? I tried with a pair from a Cat 5 cable and it worked, but the next morning when I drove the truck it must have come loose because the lights were no longer turning on when I unlocked the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What type of wire did you finally end up using? I tried with a pair from a Cat 5 cable and it worked, but the next morning when I drove the truck it must have come loose because the lights were no longer turning on when I unlocked the car.
I ended up using a diode. It was stiff enough to stick up in the connector. Took several tries to get it to work. Hasn't fallen out yet....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ended up using a diode. It was stiff enough to stick up in the connector. Took several tries to get it to work. Hasn't fallen out yet....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks. I got it to work using a coaxial cable, but after the first drive it became loose; but I think I can make it work. Have one question for everyone. Do the headlights and amber lights on the tow mirrors come one during the day when the truck is unlocked only when the it is dark? Reason I am asking, is that I do not recall and the amber lights on the tow mirrors and headlights come one when I unlock the car while it is dark out. If I turn on the truck during the day the headlights and amber lights on the tow mirrors come one. Just want to confirm what I am seeing is expected behavior.

Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Used a wire from within a phone jack cable that I robbed from the master bedroom this morning

It was very thin diameter wire penetrated my index finger with it on accident

But all functions operate like described in post 4

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Gonna try this on mine sometime soon also.. I've wanted them lights to come on in reverse ever since I got the thing..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just wanted to update the thread, I was able to successfully use a coaxial cable as a bridge and it has been working for a week no with no issues. Great hack! Now, if there was only a way for change the amount of time the lights stayed when the truck is unlocked!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tried this on my 2017 and couldn't get it to work. I used a copper wire filed to a point on both ends and checked twice to make sure it was bottomed out on both ends and nothing. Darn, sure would like those leds to come on in reverse and during unlock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an early 2015 model that came with the old style electric / heated towing mirrors, I needed to replace a broken one and installed a set of aftermarket "new style" mirrors with backup lights, I've tried the cargo light switch with no luck does anyone know if there are wiring harness differences if the truck didn't have the backup light mirrors from the factory?

21 - 40 of 49 Posts