Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just completed this successfully on a 2017 Silverado 2500 High Country.

Used the picture from post #4 - the wire colors were different but same locations, I took Coax cable and left ~3/4 inch of insulation and had 3/4" of bare copper wire on each side. Bent the wire 90 degrees and used wire cutters to put a slight point on the end. Pushed into the locations on the pink and brown plugs and worked just fine.

Notes:
1. If you have a backup camera, turning the cargo lights on via the switch, also changes your Infotainment screen to show the backup camera
2. If your headlights are set to auto, and it is night time - when you get out of your car and lock it, the led lights in the mirror stay on until the delay for the headlights to turn off.
3. If you unlock you car via the key fob, the led lights will come on, locking it again turns them back off
4. Putting the car in reverse will illuminate the cargo lamp button - even though your dash info will say cargo lamp is off
5. If you use the cargo lamp button - it gets confusing as to if it is on or off, its best to not trust the button, go by the info messages in the dash

I suspect if you use the diode that some of the "weirdness" listed above goes away, but I do not have a diode to test it with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did this modification on my prior truck - 2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - and my current 2018 Chevy 3500HD Duramax DRW using pin 26 on the Brown block to pin 25 on the Pink block. Works great on both.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Boostautoparts.com sells a kit to do this, along with YouTube instructions. I ordered it but have not installed yet. Mirror lights operate with b/u lights, and you can still use the cargo light switch to turn them on also.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey guys glad you've all been enjoying this mod! Im back with the question has anyone tried it on a 2020 yet? Originally I thought I would not but I do believe I will now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Install a jumper wire on BCM, between the utility light pin and reverse light pin. Below is a photo, I used a wire so it works both ways all on in reverse and all on with utility switch and unlock at night. With a bedcover this helps with under rail lights coming on with unlock.
dumb question but I’ve done the Diode exactly how your picture shows. Cargo lights still wont turn on in reverse.
Any ideas why it might now be working?

·
Registered
75 Posts
dumb question but I’ve done the Diode exactly how your picture shows. Cargo lights still wont turn on in reverse.
Any ideas why it might now be working?
They don't work backwards of how you wanted them to do they in that case diode would be in backwards, or not a tight connection. To be honest I ran a small piece of solid wire for over 4 years with no with no problems and would recommend just doing that the diodes were problematic for me too

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just sold my Dmax friday and have one of the Boost kits for this that I never installed. PM me if you want it and I'll give a good price

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hey guys glad you've all been enjoying this mod! Im back with the question has anyone tried it on a 2020 yet? Originally I thought I would not but I do believe I will now.
I'm interested in this mod for a 2020 also. The other night, I was backing my gooseneck trailer in the driveway and it was dark and was having trouble seeing the trailer tires. Turned on the LEDs in the mirror and wow, what a difference it made.

-Mark

41 - 49 of 49 Posts