Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2015 tow mirrors - back up lights

114K views 48 replies 26 participants last post by  DMaxRocks 
#1 ·
From what I understand the LED lights on the new tow mirrors on the 2015's are capable of illuminating in reverse? If that is true how do you enable that function? Mine do not do that and I can't find anything in the owners manual to that states how they can be enabled. They will light up when the cargo light is on, but not in reverse.

#30 ·
I'll be attempting this on my 2017 today - Wife likes the reverse lights on the mirror's, forgets it's on, and parks truck at sale barn...

4 hours later...

Wife calls on way home, says the Voltage was low, but it's OK now...Gets home, parks truck, forgets it's on... We chit chat, and I go out to check the truck out...it looks like a Search party in the Driveway...Hmmmm, Honey.<we have a blond moment> Yes you do have to turn off the cargo lights when you park it, yes, I do know that is dumb, sure I understand, of course...I'll fix it dear.

#37 ·
Gonna try this on mine sometime soon also.. I've wanted them lights to come on in reverse ever since I got the thing..

#40 ·
I have an early 2015 model that came with the old style electric / heated towing mirrors, I needed to replace a broken one and installed a set of aftermarket "new style" mirrors with backup lights, I've tried the cargo light switch with no luck does anyone know if there are wiring harness differences if the truck didn't have the backup light mirrors from the factory?

#41 ·
I just completed this successfully on a 2017 Silverado 2500 High Country.

Used the picture from post #4 - the wire colors were different but same locations, I took Coax cable and left ~3/4 inch of insulation and had 3/4" of bare copper wire on each side. Bent the wire 90 degrees and used wire cutters to put a slight point on the end. Pushed into the locations on the pink and brown plugs and worked just fine.

Notes:
1. If you have a backup camera, turning the cargo lights on via the switch, also changes your Infotainment screen to show the backup camera
2. If your headlights are set to auto, and it is night time - when you get out of your car and lock it, the led lights in the mirror stay on until the delay for the headlights to turn off.
3. If you unlock you car via the key fob, the led lights will come on, locking it again turns them back off
4. Putting the car in reverse will illuminate the cargo lamp button - even though your dash info will say cargo lamp is off
5. If you use the cargo lamp button - it gets confusing as to if it is on or off, its best to not trust the button, go by the info messages in the dash

I suspect if you use the diode that some of the "weirdness" listed above goes away, but I do not have a diode to test it with.

#44 ·
Boostautoparts.com sells a kit to do this, along with YouTube instructions. I ordered it but have not installed yet. Mirror lights operate with b/u lights, and you can still use the cargo light switch to turn them on also.

#45 ·
Hey guys glad you've all been enjoying this mod! Im back with the question has anyone tried it on a 2020 yet? Originally I thought I would not but I do believe I will now.

#49 ·
I'm interested in this mod for a 2020 also. The other night, I was backing my gooseneck trailer in the driveway and it was dark and was having trouble seeing the trailer tires. Turned on the LEDs in the mirror and wow, what a difference it made.

-Mark

#48 ·
I just sold my Dmax friday and have one of the Boost kits for this that I never installed. PM me if you want it and I'll give a good price

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.