Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Duramax that I bought new. There has been a gear whine since day one that the dealer said was normal. Now at 130k miles, it has gotten so loud that my wife recently thought a train was approaching! Recent service (at a quicky lube) the tech said that there were metal shavings in the transfer case. No leak, no other issues. Anyone else have any experience with this? Advice?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Aside from the recent uptick in noise, these boxes are much heavier duty than those in half tons, and as such will make more noise. My impression was the same when I first bought mine. It bothered me until I returned to the dealer and drove another new one. It was just as noisy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's just it.... it has gotten loud. I pull a fifth wheel that weighs in at 18,000 lbs, so am getting nervous about heading out cross country with this potential issue. Seriously contemplating a rebuild...

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I would still pop into a dealer and try another HD 4x4 first. The mind can play tricks, especially when you are worried about something. After that, do you still have powertrain warranty?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Mine is not loud, all I hear is tire noise. If the noise has changed & getting louder obviously something is going on. Don't know if I would take a quicky lube dudes word on shavings in the transfer case, get another opinion from a repair shop.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have the same gen truck, 2012, and mine isn't noisy at 300k miles. It's not even noisy in 4WD on clean road. I don't know where the sentiment that HD's drivetrains should be loud is coming from. If it's gotten louder and the quick lube guy just out of the blue told you he saw metal shavings, I'd be getting it inspected before I took out too far with a big load. It's not that big a job to pull and split a transfer case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I brought it to a well reviewed service shop... he says the GMC transfer case used in this generation has not shown any issues. He said likely a bad bearing from the factory. Guess I gotta go for the rebuild...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Not too many bad bearings made. I'd come nearer thinking something was damaged in assembly of the unit. At any rate, sounds like you're on your way to getting to the bottom of the issue. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Any updates?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts