Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Colorado Duramax for 1 week. I really like the truck. I'm a little frustrated though that at 400 miles the check engine light came on. I called the dealership and they said to bring it in. On the way there I had Onstar run a diagnostic on the truck. They said it had something to do with emissions system. The dealer had it for a day. They said it was a programming issue and that the Chevy engineers know about the problem. They (Chevy engineers) are working on a fix. The dealership said there is nothing wrong that they could find. They reset the code and said that I have to wait on the new programming fix. If the engine light came on again, it wouldn't be something that threw the truck into "limp mode" and that it wouldn't hurt the truck. I just wouldn't be able to use my remote start.

Has anyone else had any similar problems like this? Like I said earlier, I like the truck, but really frustrated that I've had to have it serviced at 400 miles.

Jeromy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't added any fuel additives. Hadn't even made it through the first tank of fuel from dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just purchased diesel/colorado new @ 84 miles check engine light came on and remote start does not work. Taking to dealer tomorrow morning. Love the truck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's most likely code P2A00. It's an exhaust sensor that doesn't sense enough air flow through the exhaust system and throws the check engine light on. Once that light is on, it disables the remote start. My dealer said that it won't hurt the truck to drive it like that. They say it's a programming issue w/ the system, but Chevy hasn't come out w/ a program update to fix it yet. Mine has 550 miles and has been in the shop twice now. I told them to keep it until it's fixed. It's ridiculous that I paid that much and it's throwing these codes. My service advisor told me yesterday they were trying to get a hold of the regional Chevy mobile engineer. We'll see what they say today.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This week marks the third in 3 weeks I've had my truck in at the dealership. This week apparently they have brought in a Chevy engineer. They told me that he hooked up his computer and ran some tests. He was supposed to coordinate w/ another engineer back at the home office, but that guy had taken the day off. Yesterday he spoke w/ the home office, and ran some more tests, and still no answers apparently. Nothing against my dealership service department, but this sucks. 3 multiple day stays at the service department in 3 weeks, all with less then 700 miles on a brand new truck. I'm pissed. We'll see what today brings, but I'm about to say go find me another truck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apparently it's not a software issue after all. The Chevy engineer brought in a testing apparatus that put the exhaust system under 12 psi. By doing that, they found that the ERG valve was leaking. So they ordered the parts to fix it. As I understand it, this is an 8 hour fix and that they have to take apart most of the engine to access the valve.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 2016 colorado duramax bought in october 2016. the first colorado duramax sold by my dealer. last night I had the check engine light on and of course that disables remote start. called the dealer this morning and have an appointment to leave it on friday. out of curiousity I ran the onstar diagnostics from my smart phone and it said unable to reach hotspot. so I went out to truck (aluminum siding on house) started the truck and ran the onstar diagnostics again. the check engine
cleared. I shut it off and remote start now works and the check engine light is off. called the dealer back and he said hopefully the check engine code is still in history. i have also had numerous other intermittent electrical problems
with the truck. the wipers stop in mid window when on high, the driver's window won't go down when dropping of a letter at post office, the other 3 windows worked. shutting of truck and restarting and the driver's window works again.
Other problems, experienced only when temps are single digit are dash lights go out for several minutes and then re-appear on their own. dash lights also flicker once in a while, I have also had service rear vision system appear but camera still works, and last when starting truck with key, the engine will crank for a second, it sounds like truck started but didn't and further cranking won't work till I turn key clear off and restart. I love the mileage of the truck 23.5 to 24.5 mpg around town and 27.9 - 28.1 on long trips on interstate. the truck tows my boat pretty well too (approx 3500 pounds) but of course mileage drops into the 16-17 mpg range. alll of these annoying electrical problems have me concerned in the long haul. truck now has 5500 miles on it.
I have a family connection to the wentzville plant in missouri. My the husband of my wife's cousin works there having transferred from a GM facility in muncie indiana

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to pick up my plates at the dealership last week. Talking to my sales person, he sold a Colorado to a customer (I can't remember if he said that it was diesel or not) and the whole computer went out. Nothing showed up on infotainment screen or driver info screen. He only had a couple hundred miles on it when it happened. I hope that is not the case for you pewhite2, but it sounds closer to the symptoms you're describing. When you get it into the dealer, if the check engine code is P2A00, that is what mine kept throwing. It had a tech ticket through Chevy and the most likely fix is to replace the ERG valve. If it's the computer going bad, good luck. Still a warranty fix, if they get it diagnosed. Hopefully you can get it straightened out and can enjoy the truck as much as I am enjoying mine now.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Apparently it's not a software issue after all. The Chevy engineer brought in a testing apparatus that put the exhaust system under 12 psi. By doing that, they found that the ERG valve was leaking. So they ordered the parts to fix it. As I understand it, this is an 8 hour fix and that they have to take apart most of the engine to access the valve.
Good Morning geikenj,

We are sorry to hear of the concerns that you are continuing to experience in regards to your Colorado. Our team would be more than happy to discuss these concerns with you in greater detail. To do so, please send us a private message that includes your VIN, full contact information, current mileage, and the name of your servicing dealership. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.

Best,
Philip J.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gm decided to offer and buy back my truck full price. Since no fix for CEL. Gm is definitely looking for the customer best interest. I decided to upgrade to a 2017 diesel 2500. Hopefully no issues with the newly tweeked 8 cylinder duramax

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow ,I have also just purchased a 2017 Colorado Z71 4x4 with the 2.8 and my check engine light has come on at 440 miles .I called the small dealership where I had purchased it from just 4 days ago and they informed me that this was there first sale of a 2.8 and they have no experience with this and that I should check my fuel cap and contact onstar .I called onstar to find out that it is an emissions problem. It is the weekend and I cannot get it into a dealership so while doing some google research I find out that this is a huge issue.I think that I will need to find a larger GM dealership that has a reputable Duramax service technician so if anyone knows of one in the Ft Wayne ,Indiana to Lima,Ohio vicinity I would appreciate your input. I would also like any advise or guidance to pass on to the technician in order to help resolve this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts