Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They gonna put a Dmax n the suburban this year? I've searched a little couldn't find anything. Anybody know?

·
Super Moderator
1,151 Posts
Nothing indicates that they have any plans to. Frankly, if they never bothered to put a Duramax into the Suburban back in the early 2000s when Ford was putting diesels into their Excursions, I highly doubt they ever will.

That said, I never expected them to put a diesel into the Colorado. Maybe GM will finally smarten up and make a Duraburb. We can only hope lol

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It'd b nice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
its surprising that they stopped, it literally doesnt make sense. I was talking with a buddy yesterday, if GM put a d-max in either a tahoe or burb I think the sales would be huge.

·
Registered
570 Posts
that would be awesome!! except I'm having fun building my dad one, so if they end up making he'll probably trash it and get a new one lol. I do agree tho, sales would probably be huge. especially with a Denali 3/4 Yukon with a duramax. I'd love to see that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Even though I'd be the first guy in line for a Duramax equipped Suburban, I think GM has done a lot of research into this and has probably found that it wouldn't be profitable to entertain the idea.
Even though us guys on the forum would love the thought of a Diesel Suburban we don't represent the majority of SUV buyers. You got to know that if GM thought putting a Diesel in a Suburban would be a big seller and make them money, you can probably bet they would do it, but I guess with all the millions of surveys out there the numbers just don't show enough interest to change the Suburban building platform and make them. They watched Ford do the Diesel SUV thing and fail. JMHO

Reactions: mdufficy

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
True that jacqson

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
True that jacqson
Yup he hit it well

Honestly overall the diesel is a dying breed I think. Higher maintenance costs and with gas engines constantly increasing in efficiency

·
Registered
296 Posts
Will never happen. And no, the "baby" Duramax won't be there either. Maybe, maybe the 4.5 if they brought it out, but that's not currently on the radar.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I was just lookin on the internet the other day bout a dmax suburban and they sayin 2017 is supposed to b the year they come out with it. If I knew how to post a link I would so y'all could c it. And they say it's gonna b bout $50000. Anybody else read this? B awesome if it was true.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I wouldn't hold your breath for that, and especially not at that price.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
IMHO, If and that's a big "IF" GM ever decided to build a diesel Suburban it would be a heck of a lot more than $50K. Even though a Diesel Suburban would be a great idea for guys like us I don't think that there is that big of a demand for them or the production change that might be needed to put a diesel in a Suburban isn't worth it to GM. There's been talk of building a Diesel Suburban again for the last 15 or so years, since the last diesel Suburban had the 6.5 Turbo diesel in it and before that the 6.2(Late 80's early 90's)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Doesn't a loaded suburban/tahoe cost more than a diesel pickup already? Then add the $8000 Duramax price tag on top of that and you have a very very slim market.

·
Registered
10,303 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Doesn't a loaded suburban/tahoe cost more than a diesel pickup already? Then add the $8000 Duramax price tag on top of that and you have a very very slim market.
Definitely agree with you there. How much of a demand are you going to have for a vehicle that costs that much and is very unwieldy to drive around town. If the Suburban is such a successful platform why doesn't any other manufacturer make one? I think if other manufacturers made a Suburban type vehicle then I don't think GM would even bother keeping it in their vehicle lineup. The only thing that keeps it viable to GM is the fact it's the only vehicle of it's kind in it's segment. JMHO

Reactions: 01silvyz71

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Market death of the Excursion.
Rollover deaths in all their other 'E' suvs....Fjord got burned so bad, it's only now considering a comeback with the Bronco. :rofl

I don't know about elsewhere, but this area is flooded with the new Tahoe/Subs everywhere.

·
Registered
110 Posts
From March of this year

"Many of us have been wondering about the availability of the latest Chevy Suburban HD. The Suburban Heavy Duty has been available in previous generations, but information on this new truck has been slim. We first saw the updated Suburban HD in prototype form testing at high altitude in October of 2014. New information is now available courtesy of the GM Fleet website. Unfortunately, there is no indication that the Suburban HD will be available for sale direct to consumers.

The latest Suburban HD is powered by the 6.0-liter gasoline Vortec V8 engine that is good for 360 horsepower and 380 lb-ft of torque. This motor has been the gasoline-powered workhorse in GM heavy duty trucks for many years. There is no word on the availability of the 6.6-liter Duramax V8 turbo-diesel. The Vortec V8 is mated to an 6-speed automatic transmission. The main benefit of the heavy duty version is the 11,000 lbs of Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). It’s more than the 10,000 lbs rating on a Chevy Silverado 2500 HD. It is also a significant increase over the 7,500 lbs GVWR of a light-duty Suburban. GM says that the Suburban HD is “a perfect platform for up-armor applications when your security cannot be left to chance.”

The HD version is configured with a 4×4 system, a 2-speed transfer case, and a trailering package. Maximum towing capacity is not listed. It’s configured with front bucket seats for an 8-person maximum capacity. Naturally, it comes with a host of safety and convenience features available on a Suburban LS model. OnStar 4G LTE Wi-Fi capability is included.

The privilege of having a Suburban HD in your fleet will come at a starting price of $79,715. For comparison, a light-duty Suburban 4×4 LS starts at $53,895 (before destination charges). You can option a light-duty Suburban to over $75,000, but it is only available with the 5.3-liter V8.

The GMC Yukon XL HD is not available according to the GM Fleet website.

We have not put a Suburban to the Ike Gauntlet extreme towing test yet, but the GMC Yukon XL Denali won our 2015 Gold Hitch towing competition for SUVs."

1 - 20 of 24 Posts