Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping for a little help/advice re a radio issue. It changes on its own. It changes stations on FM, AM, XM, and it messes with my phone when I am on it via Bluetooth...meaning it will mute my conversation or hang up or place on hold...highly annoying. I have around 45k miles now so I am out of factory warranty. It did it once or twice long before hitting the 36,000 mile mark and I should have taken it in but didn't because it only did it occasionally. Doing it quite often now...like every other time I start it and drive it.

Anyone have experience with this? Possible fix other than taking it to dealer? Probably not but figured I'd check.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Unhook the batteries and see if it does it after that. Maybe it's a glitch?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Pop the dash cover off closest to the windshield. Look around the speakers for a ground, and make sure the spade or ring terminal is making a good connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unhooked batteries...no help. Popping off dash a bit beyond my comfort level but appreciate the suggestion and might end up doing it if needed...

Took small road trip over Easter weekend. Had to turn radio off due to how annoying it was...constantly changing channel on its own, cycling through menu of channels on XM, etc and every time it does it makes that annoying "tick" sound which I have come to despise especially when you hear it like a machine gun. Did it again this morning on way to work so out of frustration I pushed a channel button on the screen VERY hard...and it stopped the remainder of the commute and hasn't done it after driving to lunch and a few other places!

Time will tell but I think the touch screen could have been pushing up against part of the dash hence the changing of channels on its own...which could have been pressure from the dash doing it. Who knows. I'll give it a few days and will report back and hopefully I don't just send a pic of the touch screen with a bullet hole in it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
My brother had the same problem with his 16. Brought a video in to dealer. They ended up replacing the radio.

·
Registered
218 Posts
You didn’t by chance name your truck Christine did you?

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
My brother had the same problem with his 16. Brought a video in to dealer. They ended up replacing the radio.
Same, mine was replaced about 6 months ago. Dealer told me it was the 50th one or so they did on a 2016 last year. I THINK, they just replaced the HMI unit however - I don't fully recall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same, mine was replaced about 6 months ago. Dealer told me it was the 50th one or so they did on a 2016 last year. I THINK, they just replaced the HMI unit however - I don't fully recall.
Which dealer? The local dealers here both made it sound like I was nuts when trying to describe this issue. Would be nice to talk to someone that’s got some experience. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

Please read the entire message before proceeding with repair to avoid damage.
The problem is with the 4 white ribbon cables that connect the touchscreen, they're junk and always have been since the 80's when they came out with them. I can't believe Chevy uses this crap.
Remove your plastic around the touch screen, just snaps out, remove the 4 screws that hold the touch screen in. There are 4 flat white ribbon cables and black connectors you will see. You need to disconnect them and reconnect because these kind of cables are famous for loose connection. You must be very careful with the next steps or you will ruin all chances you have of making it work again but it's easy if you pay attention. Slide a small flat head screwdriver on top of the white ribbon cable left side and under the black connector then twist it to raise up the connector, move to the middle twist again, and to the right side, twist and it should be up by then. The black connector is extremely delicate so be very careful with it and also the ribbon cable, don't exert any extra pressure on them what so ever. Remove the cable, put it right back in and snap the black connector back down. Do this to all 4 of the ribbon cables. After doing this, I left my plastics off for a week and tested it. Mine usually got worse during the cold and less faulty when it was warm. I did this three weeks before the big freeze and it has not had a problem since and it was 9 degrees. It's been working now for almost 5 weeks without one glitch, 2016 Silverado.
The reason the others above had no other problems after changing out the radio was likely due to having to remove the cables or having new ones already on there, I don't exactly remember how it all goes together as I have messed with a lot of other projects since doing this one but I did remember the main important points in there.
I forgot to mention the symptoms my radio and touch screen had so I had to edit.
The frequencies were changing randomly and scrolling relentlessly, was messing with the phone and the DIC was changing to audio almost every time from speed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

Please read the entire message before proceeding with repair to avoid damage.
The problem is with the 4 white ribbon cables that connect the touchscreen, they're junk and always have been since the 80's when they came out with them. I can't believe Chevy uses this crap.
Remove your plastic around the touch screen, just snaps out, remove the 4 screws that hold the touch screen in. There are 4 flat white ribbon cables and black connectors you will see. You need to disconnect them and reconnect because these kind of cables are famous for loose connection. You must be very careful with the next steps or you will ruin all chances you have of making it work again but it's easy if you pay attention. Slide a small flat head screwdriver on top of the white ribbon cable left side and under the black connector then twist it to raise up the connector, move to the middle twist again, and to the right side, twist and it should be up by then. The black connector is extremely delicate so be very careful with it and also the ribbon cable, don't exert any extra pressure on them what so ever. Remove the cable, put it right back in and snap the black connector back down. Do this to all 4 of the ribbon cables. After doing this, I left my plastics off for a week and tested it. Mine usually got worse during the cold and less faulty when it was warm. I did this three weeks before the big freeze and it has not had a problem since and it was 9 degrees. It's been working now for almost 5 weeks without one glitch, 2016 Silverado.
The reason the others above had no other problems after changing out the radio was likely due to having to remove the cables or having new ones already on there, I don't exactly remember how it all goes together as I have messed with a lot of other projects since doing this one but I did remember the main important points in there.
I forgot to mention the symptoms my radio and touch screen had so I had to edit.
The frequencies were changing randomly and scrolling relentlessly, was messing with the phone and the DIC was changing to audio almost every time from speed.
Is your radio still working?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts