Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t have a particular reason to make this thread other than to share a few pics for anybody that might be interested in seeing them.

The truck has 45,922 miles and 3,149.9 engine hours.

I did an oil and filter change on my dads 2016 LML a few days ago. It’s a 3500HD that is used as a farm truck. It frequently tows and hauls heavy loads on the gooseneck. It has always had the oil changed according to the OLM.

I drained the transmission, changed the spin-on transmission filter and cleaned the magnet. I refilled it with 7.4 quarts of Full synthetic Dexron VI. The factory fill that I drained actually looked good for the number of hours that the truck has. The spin-on transmission filter has been changed once before at 31k miles.

I went ahead and drained the factory fill transfer case fluid while I was under there. It was starting to get a little dark and was more of a brown color rather than red. It wasn’t terrible, but definitely needed changing. There was a decent amount of fuzz on the magnet but nothing alarming. I was expecting it to be much worse based on some of the reports I’ve heard from others.

There are more pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2tNXMtPxgbNUgEKi9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FNAwQbbQ7g7rKWPG6

·
Registered
12 Posts
I do Not meant to derail your post, I just bought my first 16 LML also and never own a Duramax before. anyway how do you pull up the engine data ( miles/hours and avg speed) above? THANKS

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do Not meant to derail your post, I just bought my first 16 LML also and never own a Duramax before. anyway how do you pull up the engine data ( miles/hours and avg speed) above? THANKS

The miles/hours can be seen on the DIC. To find your average speed you just divide miles traveled by engine hours. I write down how many miles traveled and engine hours accumulated per OCI and figure the avg mph per oil change interval. The image above is just data that I’ve entered into a spreadsheet.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Thank you for your interesting post and photos. In my own case, I have no idea how much, if any maintainence my Allison received prior to when I bought it at approx. 70,000 mi.

First thing I did was change all the fluids - was pleased to find the auto trans. fluid still "red"; no sign of heat discoloration.

My magnetic plug had NO metal filings - soin your case, I would be concerned - obviously they are ferrus ( or the magnet wouldn't have picked them up ) I defer to the transmission experts in here - my personal opinion is that looks like maybe the clutch plates are incurring excessive wear.
The pic of the plug is from the transfer case, not the trans,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts